am I on the right track?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWahlbergii

Reaction score
So- just looking for some general feedback ,advice ,etc

New to this - just received 2 nymphs-(1 Viridis , 1 Budwing)

Both are about 1" long

They came in small styrofoam containers (3 oz?) and both were hanging out on the top (which was lined with a little foam) Looks like perhaps there were some fruit flies in there with them as I could see what I thought were remnants

From what I have read and gathered I have misted with distilled water, kept area room temp (70 degrees+/-) but have also parked them near 60 watt desk lamp which is about 12" away- might be adding a couple of degrees of additional warmth but definitely anything to extreme

I waited 2 days and have now moved both to 8 oz clear containers with the ventilation holes and foam plug- I put a little sphagnum moss on bottom - sprayed it wet and also placed a small mexican air plant

In each container I put 3 wingless fruit flies and misted

Both seem ok but not seeing either one eat yet (but literally just did this an hour ago)

questions I have:

1)is the housing ok and appropriate?- i see the general rules on size so just want to make sure the 8 oz aren't to big

2) is the food appropriate as far as how many and what I should feed them?what should my expectations be and how often should I be feeding them(on average)?

3)Is the temperature of about 70 degrees ok? is there a target temp to try and keep them at- and is light ok or should they also have some dark time?

4) anything I listed above in the description indicate anything idiotic?Just want to make sure Im not killing them in first few days:)

Lastly anything better or critical as far as supplies- is the sphagnum on ok medium?Fruit flies appropriate food and so on

Would appreciate any kind of feedback and/or advice

I am sure I will have many more questions but just want to make sure I am on the right path for now

Best,

D

Funny. You have the same name as a popular species of praying mantis. The care information below was copied from mantidpets.com.

BUDWING MANTIS:

Agrionina/affinis The Budwing Mantis is a large mantis reaching to about 4 inches, and very bulky in size. Typically the coloration is light browns to light gray tones. The females have very short stubby wings which is where the common name of Budwing originated.

FOOD - This mantis is not hard to feed at all! The Budwing mantis will eat just about any thing you put in the habitat. Crickets and flies are the most common feeder insects used in the raising of the Budwing. They will take mealworms, especially from forceps.

WATER - As an adult, mist the habitat every other day.

HOUSING - The ideal temperature is about 82 degrees, but at normal room temperature the Budwing will do fine. The lower the temperature, the less the mantis will eat and move around, but for normal growth and activity levels, keep the temperature about 82 degrees. Mantises need 2 to 3 times the length of their body to molt successfully. They literally crawl out of their skin, and need to have room to do this, or it will result in a bad molt, which leads to deformity or death. If the Budwing has wings the molting is completed, so there is no danger.

DIFFICULTY - The Budwing is a great beginner’s mantis, it is easy to care for and it gets big!

Summary - There are 4 mantis that I would recommend to beginners, and the Budwing is one of those.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AFRICAN MANTIS:

Sphodromantis lineola The African mantis is a medium-large mantis reaching 3 to 4 inches long with a bulky appearance. Colors can be tans, browns, and greens. This mantis is a hunter of its food, and will not hesitate to run after an escaping meal!
Food - The prey must have movement to trigger the hunt, so crickets, flies, moths, and butterflies are good food sources.

Water - Until the mantis reaches adulthood, spray every other day. Once the mantis reaches adulthood (the wings finally appear), the mantis will get most of the water from the food, so you may reduce spraying to about once every other week.
Housing - Temperature should be about 75 degrees, but this mantis can live in a wide range of temperatures, so indoors it typically needs no heat source. Humidity should be about 55% which will be needed for molting. A screen top for air also serves as the mantis’ favorite resting place. For molting, the container needs to be 2 to 3 times the length of the mantis for room to “crawl out of the old skin.” This mantis is cannibalistic, so only one per container.
Difficulty - This is the best mantis for a beginner because of the wide range of temperature it can endure, and the reduced watering needs.
Summary - If you want an aggressive, large, minimal care mantis that is a hunting machine, then the African Mantis is for you. If you want more information on Mantis, visit www.mantidforum.com. For supplies and mantis, visit www.mantisplace.com.

Hey Thx to all

I might change to damp paper towel- little hard to see them and the fruit flies in the sphagnum so will help with seeing them and determining if they eat

one more-

I assume should mist them every day?

Hey Thx to all

I might change to damp paper towel- little hard to see them and the fruit flies in the sphagnum so will help with seeing them and determining if they eat

one more-

I assume should mist them every day?
Species from arid area don't really need so much moisture. Actually I never mist budwings, and they're doing absolutely fine by only getting water from their preys.

High moisture can arise many problems, including bacteria and mold growth. If the species don't need much humidity then I'd prefer to keep it on the dry side.

that is a fine setup. turn of the lights when the sun goes down to simulate a natural photoperiod.

they are fine on fruit flies for one, maybe 2 more molts. then switch to flies or crickets. by that time the enclosure should also be upgraded to maybe a 16 oz.

Don't mist every day unless you have almost 100% ventilation for those species. I'd do once every other to 3 days, and don't soak them.

make sure there is something grippy on the lid to help with molting.

also clean out the enclosures of dead stuff and such every week or 2 to inhibit mold.

Thx- here is a couple more stupid questions-

ended up with two different fruit fly cultures- one was I think combo of Hydei , Melanogastors and Turkish Gliders (?)

That was yielding a manageable amount of a little larger fruit flies ( I assume Hydei) but since using the ones that were in there nothing else is coming up although I do see some larva still active- seems like many turned brown and died

second one I just received are Melangastors and was started on 10/13 - which has about a million or so inside running around - lol

stupid questions:

1) given that I presently have only 2 mantid nymphs and have only been dropping in a few flies a day, did I buy something that is meant to feed a hundred or so Mantids? I am assuming I dont want to place to many in with mantid so it doesn't freak out

2) On the first culture- should I expect that some more maturate into flies or is that it for the culture? Had it about 2 weeks

I did get book "Keeping Aliens" which I will read tonight hoping it answers some of the questions I have but let me know any good "feeder" tips:)

Thx

The first culture is good the ones you think are brown & dead, are going to hatch into flies...

The second one you can release some of the flies, so the culture does not get taken over ... and die off..

the container you have is what we all get...LOL lots of flies... why? I don't know ... that is just the way they come... Someone figured it out a long time ago... hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
No question is stupid... Just the ones not asked...

We all start out things differently.. what works for one, may not work for you...

oh man, do I feel old now... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts