Amazing Abnormality!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissim Klaw

Reaction score
I normally raise up my nymphs for the first couple instars in communal setups before placing them in individual enclosures. Well today I went to separate a batch that is 3rd instar and I noticed something strange. At first I thought it was a nymph in the process of eating a sibling but when I looked closer I realized the mantises where conjoined. I didn't even know this was possible in inverts! Has anyone had this happen before?

I snapped a quick photo of the nymph err nymphs in question. I can't believe they have coexisted this long without one cannibalizing the other. What to do guys?!?!?!

Amazing-Mantises-Stuck-Toge_zpstz9acec1.jpg

I hope everyone is having as a good day today as I am.

Well being April 1st Fools day I am highly skeptical and will not post a serious comment until at least April 2nd (as many will hold off telling the truth till then).

All I can say is if there is any truth to this is it make sure to take plenty of photos from various angles, and as close up as possible. ;)

WOW! That is so cool!
Certainly this is proof that two heads are indeed better than one, well at least cooler than one.

All I can say is if there is any truth to this is it make sure to take plenty of photos from various angles, and as close up as possible. ;)
I have no idea what you are implying good sir. I do however plan to get up some video of them eating tomorrow. I've also been running over some potential names. I am thinking about calling the left one April and then the right one Fool. That or perhaps I will name the left one Photo and the right one Shop. Really there are so many possibilities it is hard to decide.

Certainly this is proof that two heads are indeed better than one, well at least cooler than one.

I have no idea what you are implying good sir. I do however plan to get up some video of them eating tomorrow. I've also been running over some potential names. I am thinking about calling the left one April and then the right one Fool. That or perhaps I will name the left one Photo and the right one Shop. Really there are so many possibilities it is hard to decide.
I stand by my original statement. Photoshop is a very awesome tool! ;P

Well definitely a good effort, and both heads were at least not the same one (or angle at least). ;) I wondered if I'd see anything on here today and it turned out to be you lol. :D

It would be rather neat to see such a mantid but I've heard it's a impossibility due to their reproduction/hatching.

I stand by my original statement. Photoshop is a very awesome tool! ;P
Hahaha, indeed it is. XD

Well definitely a good effort, and both heads were at least not the same one (or angle at least). ;) I wondered if I'd see anything on here today and it turned out to be you lol. :D

It would be rather neat to see such a mantid but I've heard it's a impossibility due to their reproduction/hatching.
The real question is which is the real head?

What species is it? 
I'm embarrassed to say I didn't have the folder with these nymph photos labeled with their species, so I'm not entirely sure. I want to say Miomantis binotata though.

This day over yet?
I'm sorry Rick, but grumpy-old-men are not allowed to own mantises. Shoo with you.

I normally raise up my nymphs for the first couple instars in communal setups before placing them in individual enclosures. Well today I went to separate a batch that is 3rd instar and I noticed something strange. At first I thought it was a nymph in the process of eating a sibling but when I looked closer I realized the mantises where conjoined. I didn't even know this was possible in inverts! Has anyone had this happen before?

I snapped a quick photo of the nymph err nymphs in question. I can't believe they have coexisted this long without one cannibalizing the other. What to do guys?!?!?!

Amazing-Mantises-Stuck-Toge_zpstz9acec1.jpg

I hope everyone is having as a good day today as I am.
loool that's awesome, April Fools!

Zooming in is cheating. I am assuming you mean right head as in from the mantises's perspective, because the one on the right side when looking at the photo is the fake.
I know, but that was the first thing I did anyway before it clicked what day today was. Perhaps as I had hoped it was real. ;)

Ha, no I guessed the incorrect head then.
confused.gif
As I see issues with the 2nd raptorial forearm/leg looking at the photo on the left, the usual telltale sign of fading edge along the shoulder area, perhaps from cloning in the fake head.

Either way you got me, and the fake head seems to be masked rather well, so great job. :D The overlapping antenna helps sell the shot too.

I know, but that was the first thing I did anyway before it clicked what day today was. Perhaps as I had hoped it was real. ;)

Ha, no I guessed the incorrect head then.
confused.gif
As I see issues with the 2nd raptorial forearm/leg looking at the photo on the left, the usual telltale sign of fading edge along the shoulder area, perhaps from cloning in the fake head.

Either way you got me, and the fake head seems to be masked rather well, so great job. :D The overlapping antenna helps sell the shot too.
Victory is mine! Lol the fading edge you are seeing may very well lack of focus from the actual photo. I don't have a macro lens and use extenders on my regular lens to fake it so I have a super narrow beam of focus. The lighting was also terrible and I just lazily let photoshop auto adjust all the levels. XD

I would of been completely fooled, in fact I scrolled and speed read to see if it was indeed real. If it was, I would say you would be overrun with scientist and news people and I would of been so jealouse.

Latest posts