Amazing mantid facts!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think one of the most amazing facts about mantids is that it is so easy to anthropomorphise them and ascribe human traits or whatever to them based on our own projections. This makes them seem mysterious and cool to me. Througout history and in many cultures these have been revered as psychopomps (guides to/through the underworld), divine messengers, gods, poison bearers, mystical creatures, sacred beings and other cool stuff. Anyways, i just love that they enjoy killing flies and crickets. I just wish I could culture my true nemesis (which have riven me to the brink of madness on many a day astream, fly rod in hand) - blackflies, just so that I could enjoy watching the mantids eat them. Revenge aside, people have many different reasons to want to keep these cool aliens close by.

Some large adult mantids even eat animals much larger than themselves, like frogs,

lizards, and small birds, and even rodents!!!! Yep, rodents!!!

Amazing fact: Manits' don't do housework. They are lousy at doing dishes, or taking out the trash, but they are entertaining to watch.

Maybe someone will enhance this amazing fact, that I heard, but mantis' have a spike that they can punch prey with to injure them, then they snatch and eat the prey.

Amazing fact: Manits' don't do housework. They are lousy at doing dishes, or taking out the trash, but they are entertaining to watch.

Maybe someone will enhance this amazing fact, that I heard, but mantis' have a spike that they can punch prey with to injure them, then they snatch and eat the prey.

I don't know if it's do to this stimulus, but my mantis in the jar closest to my aquarium almost launched himself out of the jar when I opened it, houston we have lift off. I wonder if it's an instinctual action due to the fish being insect eaters and maybe the mantis knows it, or maybe he just wanted to get out and party on a saturday night, don't really know.

I moved his jar much further away from the aquarium, and I'll see if he's so jumpy next time, but then it won't be saturday night anymore either, so that control factor will be eliminated... :)