Amputating procedure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltarMantis

Reaction score
Hi all, I think I witnessed my mantis failing to reach her arm to amputate it as it is stuck pointing backward limiting the use of her rear leg. I'm contemplating amputating her foreleg and rear leg soon and would like to know the dos and fonts so I can properly help her if need be.

14879849774881826524397.jpg

Would leave it alone if it were me but im no expert. Minty Mantis had a back leg that was twisted the wrong way but he still used it to brace himself.

@AltarMantis You inspired me to make a whole separate post about this! I'm going to start a thread with this exact thing written except the parts about your individual mantis

I wouldn't suggest amputating it. The mantis can, once she regains her strength, hopefully chew off that part of the exoskeleton. If not, I would try using a moist q tip to wet it and gently peel it off, or just leaving her be for the moment. Additionally, I would NOT recommend amputating two legs in any scenario. I would say one leg missing is okay, but two legs missing can be dangerous, especially for bigger mantids. They need to hang upside down to molt, and having only two legs can result in falling during molting or just the inability to hang upside down. Many have tried taping or adhering their mantids to the roof of their cage just before they start molting to ensure that they carry through as a last ditch attempt to save them, but 99% of the time it ends in disaster as the mantis struggles and ends up harming itself and usually killing itself.

If you do decide to amputate, however, here's how. First, I would suggest some surgical scissors or very small, sharp scissors that can make small but precise cuts. I would suggest sterilizing them by either boiling water and letting them soak for at least five minutes, or filling a bowl with subbing alcohol and letting them soak for at least fifteen minutes. Either way, dry them off with a clean cotton cloth after you're finished and you'll have some clean sterile scissors. Then, find the nearest joint closest to where you want to amputate. If you amputate in the middle of the leg, it's harder to heal. In nature, the mantis would probably have that leg torn off at the softer and more easily healable joint. Make sure that the mantis can reach the place where the cut will be made with its mouth! Some suggest cooling the mantis in the fridge or freezer before the amputation to possibly reduce pain or make the mantis slower and calmer. If you decide to cool it, I would suggest the fridge for less likely event of accidental death. Then, take your scissors, make sure you're in the right place, and snip the joint as quickly as possible. You can use liquid bandage to seal the wound and prevent any bacteria from entering the wound. I've heard of wax (I've never tried it, so I have no idea how well it works, this is more of a consolidation) and superglue being used as well. For the wax, you melt it and wait until it's warm but soft and gently cover the wound with it. The superglue is pretty self explanatory. You can also let the wound heal on its own and scab over naturally.

Amputation is usually only necessary when an infection starts to form at the very tip of the limb. This looks fixable without such a drastic alteration as an amputation. Of course, you know your mantis and what will be the best for her health the best, so make your choice based on what you believe will help her survive. Best of luck! :)  

If she has a totally mangled rear leg, missing the other rear, and a crippled foreleg that has to go will she be able to molt? I'm not sure if I'd be able to tape her up since I'm not sure I'd be able to make her behaviour out while shes injured. So far the right raptoral is dragging behind her limiting her leg mobility behind it and hooking into what ever she walks on so i think ill have to get that off in the morning. Thank you for all of your support everyone! I'll be sure to check that post.

@izbiggs I'm going to have to amputate her front right raptoral. Shoul I cut at the shoulder rather than the elbow if your saying middle leg amputations are hard on the mantids?

@izbiggs I'm going to have to amputate her front right raptoral. Shoul I cut at the shoulder rather than the elbow if your saying middle leg amputations are hard on the mantids?
Just choose somewhere she can bend her limb, at a joint. when I said middle of the leg was difficult for mantids, I meant middle of the leg as in a place where the exoskeleton doesn't have a joint! Cut as little off as possible. 

A thousand thanks! Her forearm is dragging behind and limiting her mobility so I think I am going to have to cut at the elbow... :p gonna feed her lots of good food tonight!

Success! I feel as though i maybe should touch up the amputation and come a little closer to the elbow but i do not want to induce undo pain and trauma after having done it once today. She bled minimally and can move more freely now. Trying to give her food for strength and take care of her. 

1488082926639-1098947304.jpg

Been feeding her recently killed crickets (and honey to encourage  eating) because she has a hard time staying stable while they are squirming. She doesn't seem interested in meal worms. Still she doesn't walk much so I've been trying to rehabilitate her by using my fingers as a tread mill. Im mostly worried about the rear leg she lost molting as it has turned black on the end, since I don't know the difference between scans and infection.

Been feeding her recently killed crickets (and honey to encourage  eating) because she has a hard time staying stable while they are squirming. She doesn't seem interested in meal worms. Still she doesn't walk much so I've been trying to rehabilitate her by using my fingers as a tread mill. Im mostly worried about the rear leg she lost molting as it has turned black on the end, since I don't know the difference between scans and infection.
If you've been feeding her beekeeper's honey, then I would say it's just a scab! Keep a close eye on it, though. It's so good that she's eating! All of your methods sound good and I really hope you can nurse your mantis back to health

The honey is nothing special which I'm a bit cautious about (conventional processed) but I've noticed if she won't eat just dancing it in the feeder will get her started! Thanks for all the help! :D

Latest posts