An American Masterpiece

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orin

Reaction score
My favorite millipede: Narceus americanus albino form found only in captivity. This is a small adult male (adults continue to molt after reaching maturity and old adults can become rather large). Not only is the coloration spectacular but it's a hard species that accepts a bit of abuse and can take temps near freezing to high nineties without trouble.

AlbinoNarceusAmericanusMale.jpg

Rebecca, are you sure you want to go over THERE? Didn't you read the post? These are only found in captivity! You are safer in the Tulgey Woods.

Beautiful millipede, by the way! How did they come to be found...only in captivity? (I just love this story ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he meant the Albino version is only found in captivity because like most albino creatures they have a much harder time surviving in the wilds. ( I think :p )

the only albino populations are "spirit bears" or the "white deer."

Last edited by a moderator:
Albinism or Leucism, please be careful. One way to tell is whether or not the animal has red eyes. I see black eyes on the millipede, so it's probably not albinism (complete or partial lack of pigments, even in the eye).

Albinism or Leucism, please be careful. One way to tell is whether or not the animal has red eyes. I see black eyes on the millipede, so it's probably not albinism (complete or partial lack of pigments, even in the eye).
That millipede has a typical albino look to its eyes, they look pinkish to me.

Where do you see black? :huh: