Angry Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukony

Reaction score
What would everyone say are some of the top most preditorial species? I love to watch my Sphodramantis Lineola is pissy but what are some others?

I wish, last time i had them, they all decided to moult during the coldest day of the year, i put 2 heatmats under each tank and it was still too cold. It was very annoying sicne up until that pointthey were doing incredibly well and i had actually taken the time to feed them at least every otehr day so they were very big and healthy.

However 1 of the males had decided to moult a week earlier when the weather was milder, he was fine and i gave him to a freind of mine since he had a female. So he now owes me an ooth :)

Most aggressive mantid is Chinese or European i always heard...but i think thats just aggressive to humans :p

The best feeding mantis i had was Grandis from Sheldon (indirectly). Those guys ate everytime without fail!

giant indian arent to shabby either. they have nice colours and r feisty even when small

These new Sphodromantis I have (which apparently might be Rhomboderella scutata?) are vicious as anything. Any attempt to pick them up or go near them, they will rear up and go into their threat position, which I have to say is most entertaining. They will also just massacre their prey like nothing else before. Great species.

The most ever violent specemin ive ever had was a "marbled mantis" back in my early days. As a l2 nymphs i gave it a cricket much bigger than it. It latched onto it sucessfully, but comparativly the cricket was huge so the cricket didnt notice at first and just kept running around with a hungry mantis chowing down sticking out at about an angle of about 70 degrees (looked very funny). By the end of the day most of the crickets abdomen was gone and the mantids abdomen was huge. Very entertaining, never seen anything like it since though.

P. Agrionina (budwing) will chase after the food almost immediately after they spotted the prey. They never fail me whenever i want to amaze any kids on how a mantis could make a kill in a lightning quick move.

I second Yen's comment. Even as L1's my P. Agrioninas would dive bomb and tackle fruit flies. Some of them took some real head over heels tumbles.

Most aggressive mantid is Chinese or European i always heard...but i think thats just aggressive to humans :p The best feeding mantis i had was Grandis from Sheldon (indirectly). Those guys ate everytime without fail!
Hi Jackson,

I'm with you on that. The Tenodera are vicious little buggers. Perhaps I had a bad experience, but I found their agression a bit unnerving.

nope , not seriously . the bigger species may snap at you and draw small amount of blood at the most . although ive been lucky so far and not been hit by my own mantids :lol: ... but some have tried .. im just too quick !!!

Neil

can any mantis actually harm a person?
Although a mantis doesn't really pose any threat to a person, they can definitely harm your eyes if you hold them too close. They are attracted to eye movement, and will reflexively strike. It's not a big deal if you wear glasses, but if you don't, be very careful.

Aside from eyes, I've let 5" tenodera chew on my fingertip - After 5 minutes, it only left a scratch, and didn't draw blood.

Truly, I believe, the greatest threats mantids present is to your bank account.

:shock:http://www.mentalfunk.com/movies/mousevsmantis.html :shock:

Latest posts