Angry...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenomantis

Reaction score
I found another mantis today, an adult female(I'm pretty sure) European. Well, 'found' may not be the best word. Rescue would probably fit better...

I had a doctor's appointment, so I was leaving school 30 minutes early. Well, I came out the front doors, and what do I see? Five or six boys sitting around as their buddy sadistically pokes a mantis with a pen. I was horrified. He then makes it climb onto a pencil and throws it at one of the other guys as they're all laughing and talking about killing it in gruesome ways. These are tenth thru twelth grade boys, for crying out loud! How can they be so cruel? :angry:

Without a word I walked into the middle of their circle and scooped up the frenzied mantis into my hands before walking away without a second glance. They jeered at me till my mom got there and helped me load my stuff into the truck without harming the mantis.

I actually took her with me to the doctor's office, taking care not to freak her out any more than she probably already was. Right now I'm fixing up a temporary terrarium for her to stay in while I save up some cash for a better one. :)

Umm...hate to break it to ya, but almost all high schoolers are like that. Ever read Lord of the Flies?

Umm...hate to break it to ya, but almost all high schoolers are like that. Ever read Lord of the Flies?
Yeah... It's just a little disturbing to think that this is the next generation that's going to rule the country and the world... :blink:

Good for you, Xenomantis!!! That took courage and heart to do!!! You should be proud of yourself as I would have done the same thing... only I can't say I would not have had a few Choice words for the little creeps! :angry: But you did the Right thing. Good luck with your new mantis!! :D

Yeah... It's just a little disturbing to think that this is the next generation that's going to rule the country and the world...
LOL, yeah, no kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
:( Isn't that awful? I cannot believe what cruelty comes out of people, but that was Hitler, and the others like him. The one thing I cannot abide by is cruelty of any kind. Even when I have to kill something I do not torture it. But don't worry about them running the country, this is nothing new, people have been this way since time began. But they make you so angry don't they? :angry:

Not me!!!

Also, Xenomantis, how old are you(Or atleast, aren

t you in highschool as well?)? At my school, they wouldn't just jeer at you...

Not me!!!
Heh, well, we aren't exactly in the norm for most high school students. :p :unsure:

At my school they'd probably just laugh and call you a wuss, and then threaten to beat you up. But nobody at my school usually gets in fights, and when they do its just embarrassing to watch. :lol: :rolleyes:

P.S. - Lovin the new smilies...

Heh, well, we aren't exactly in the norm for most high school students. :p :unsure: At my school they'd probably just laugh and call you a wuss, and then threaten to beat you up. But nobody at my school usually gets in fights, and when they do its just embarrassing to watch. :lol: :rolleyes:

P.S. - Lovin the new smilies...
Ya well..... :lol:

In my school, it's not threats...

Not me!!!Also, Xenomantis, how old are you(Or atleast, aren

t you in highschool as well?)? At my school, they wouldn't just jeer at you...
Yeah, I'm in High School... But, eventhough I'm a girl I can match most of the boys in a fight, fair or not, so I get left alone for the most part. Sometimes there are advantages to not being super skinny like all the 'popular' girls. ;)

Nice work Xeno! Those people won't run the country, they will fill the jails. It is a sad commentary on today's youth - there seems to be a general lack of respect for life. Coincidentally, my son found a huge Chinese female on our butterfly bush today. We put her in a bug tent and fed her bumbles until she was about to pop! We're going to keep her for a couple of days to see if she attracts a male. :)

Yeah, I'm in High School... But, eventhough I'm a girl I can match most of the boys in a fight, fair or not, so I get left alone for the most part. Sometimes there are advantages to not being super skinny like all the 'popular' girls. ;)
Wow, are you kicking though? (You know... <_< )

Xenomantis,

Nice work!

I did a similar thing in south Africa. I found two boys playing with a chameleon, They were using a plastic bag & had picked up the chameleon by it's tail, Swinging the chameleon around like it was a toy. I quickly took the chameleon away from them. They were very unhappy about this, I told them to not do this again! If they took my word to heart, I do not know?. I took the chameleon home & found that they had hurt the chameleon. So I gave the female chameleon TLC, she died the very next day. I found it very sad....

I just love hearing people doing the right thing, If it's saving bugs to people. I look up to these people.

Nice work Xeno! Those people won't run the country, they will fill the jails. It is a sad commentary on today's youth - there seems to be a general lack of respect for life. Coincidentally, my son found a huge Chinese female on our butterfly bush today. We put her in a bug tent and fed her bumbles until she was about to pop! We're going to keep her for a couple of days to see if she attracts a male. :)
That's awesome! I wish you the best of luck. ;)

Xenomantis,Nice work!

I did a similar thing in south Africa. I found two boys playing with a chameleon, They were using a plastic bag & had picked up the chameleon by it's tail, Swinging the chameleon around like it was a toy. I quickly took the chameleon away from them. They were very unhappy about this, I told them to not do this again! If they took my word to heart, I do not know?. I took the chameleon home & found that they had hurt the chameleon. So I gave the female chameleon TLC, she died the very next day. I found it very sad....

I just love hearing people doing the right thing, If it's saving bugs to people. I look up to these people.
I'm so sorry about the chameleon... :(

But thank you for the compliment. I really appreciate it. :)

Well done on rescuing the lil lady ;) , i'm in school 2 and i know that if they see anykind of weakness they will gang up(but i guess not on a girl ;) ) im a big guy for my age and weight lift so no-ones commin near me like that :lol: ,but i would hav done exactly the same thing, at school if i see an insect on the road i just [SIZE=14pt]hav[/SIZE] to move it on to somewhere that itis safe :rolleyes:

So good luck with her :rolleyes:

Well done on rescuing the lil lady ;) , i'm in school 2 and i know that if they see anykind of weakness they will gang up(but i guess not on a girl ;) ) im a big guy for my age and weight lift so no-ones commin near me like that :lol: ,but i would hav done exactly the same thing, at school if i see an insect on the road i just [SIZE=14pt]hav[/SIZE] to move it on to somewhere that itis safe :rolleyes: So good luck with her :rolleyes:
Haha! Most of you (yes bringing up religion, forgive me) are more Buddhist then you think! :p But thats a compliment! :) And it makes me feel good that i am not the only one who does this kind of thing...

I'm not exactly big for my age, nor strong, but i know how do defend myself...'specially with 'chucks or a good solid stick or bar.... :lol:

Latest posts