Another noob looking for advice

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat91

Reaction score
Thanks for the introduction and all the great information. I was looking for some advice to start a set-up for my daughter (the budding entomologist).

She love's Mantids and I want to get her a few for her birthday (actually they're for me too). She spent last summer collecting Mantids in the garden and would enjoy scaring the neighborhood kids as they crawled up her arm. We had a resident in our butterfly bush that we would watch hunt down unsuspecting butterflies.

I've planning on converting a 20 gallon fish tank into a Mantis tank. If I split it into 3 each will be about 8" x 12" X 13", two would be about 16" x 12" x 13". What do you think would be the best configuration??

Any advise on what to get? Should I stick with the same type? or go for a variety?

Thanks in advance for any help

I might suggest same type to start. Up to you on the species. How difficult do you want it to be to feed the lil buggers ? Do you want to be able to pop to the local petstore for crickets when the butterflys run low ? Do you mind having fly pupae in the fridge for those that only eat flying insects ?

Just some things you prob want to narrow down as you consider a species.

The flies are no problem, I already have a fridge in the garage that has worms and sometimes crickets for fishing. I gather from what I've red here that the African's are good for beginners. Any others i should consider based n the size of my set up?

in terms of size, even split into 3 you could probably keep most species in there til adulthood (one in each partition).

sphodromantis sp is a good beginner mantis. stocky, eats well, decent size, fairly hardy. i have never kept heirodula sp but i gather they are also good beginner mantids. pseudocreobotra sp/creobroter sp are a bit more exotic and a bit smaller but still pretty easy to keep. keeping in mind your setup i think itd be really cool to get either a pair or trio of one species, or to get a specimen each from 2 or 3 species.

i would say have a look at some photos and see which ones you like the look of, and then research their needs and think about if you think you can provide the right conditions. then try to find someone offering them! actually that could lead to disappointment... maybe best to start by seeing whats being offered where you are and then researching the care requirements and looks of the species you see available for offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your tank set up sounds good. Three mantids would be an easily managed number to start with. As for species, I'd stick with the natives that can be found in your area at first. Chinese should be very common with Narrow wing and S. carolina being a bit harder to find.

Latest posts