Another shipping thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbird

Reaction score
So far in my limited experience shipping Mantids, either sending or receiving w/ 2-day Priority, it seems to be about 50/50 that they survive no matter what one does?

1.) I shipped an adult Ghost (9 wks. old, free and charged shipping cost only) from warm SoCal to an also warm part of the country having 85 deg. temps. and 55% humidity at the time. The buyer didn't want to pay extra for a Priority Box Flat Rate Box (which is a little more expensive) I shipped the Ghost 2-day Priority, in a corrugated shoe box, 16oz. deli container, with newspaper cushioning and left the factory 1/2" holes at either end of the lid remain open for ventilation. Thinking, the holes would allow heat to escape. The Ghost arrived dead and I was chastised by the buyer for shipping in such a box and leaving the holes open? 

2.) Next: I shipped from SoCal to the midwest. 18 L1 nymphs, 9 of the L1 nymphs were 1 week old and eating ff well also, packaged in individual small deli cups.  The other L1 nymphs were hatched the day before and shipped in slightly larger deli cups x3 each. Some were extras and I was thinking they would likely eat each other and would survive. Most died and I refunded the money.

Lessons learned:

1) Do not ever ship L1's period. I didn't think it was a good idea but being a noob I went along. Trust your gut instincts. Don't do it ever. 

2) Do not let someone save money on shipping by going cheap. If they don't agree to your shipping, just don't do the deal. It's not worth trying to accommodate and getting bashed in the breeder feedback for trying to get someone a cheap bug to breed. You end up looking bad if the bug dies though you tried to help someone out.

3) Agree up front about shipping techniques and method and be very detailed about it. Exactly, what types of cups? exact size? paper towels? top and bottom? or? Hot melt glue? Now, I will simply putting a piece of tissue, friction fit, between the lid and the cup. That way a nymph can never be caught under the paper or caught in Hot Melt Glue Strings. If the buyer doesn't like that then either don't do the deal or do it their way but make clear they are responsible for the packing technique and the consequences of it.  

4) Unless you're an Angel, Saint, Martyr or Wizard get enough money to cover your costs, make sure your terms are met for shipping and once everyone agrees on packing technique - you have done "due diligence." (You might want to take a video of your packing to prove the bugs were alive prior to shipping?) 

Otherwise you are the one who's online selling reputation will suffer and all because you tried to make the customer happy and agreed to their terms and schedule.

Lessons learned. Any similar experiences or thoughts?

I would think 2-day shipping over a long distance would probably mean the bugs went on a plane, and a plane's cargo hold is really cold. No matter the temperature at your starting point or destination, I'd assume the package is gonna get cold at some point and put a heat pack in there. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though!) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Shipping is hard to do and takes time to learn it. A lot of people ship them together in a small container with excelsior or something else, tissue a lot of time. The tissue gets

wet and falls on the mantis and it dies. Sending them together stresses them out, not a good practice. Some people will not take suggestions and the mantis

never do well when shipped wrong.

I ship in insulated cups, insulated boxes, one to a cup, and heat or cold pack. The insulation gets a small corner cut out to allow the heat pack to get air. Without air

the heat pack does not work. No food goes with them in the cups, maybe a really light mist of water, but not enough to drown them in and not enought to make the cup a steam room with heat pack in the box. Also no tissue, no excelsior unless really needed and then just one piece with the lid holding it in place. ps, all this is secret info, do not tell anyone. In all the things I have shipped, I have had probably less than 50 die in shipping. I dont keep count, but in 11 years, I rarely have a

problem with it. Thank God for that.

I would disagree with 50% chance. I've purchased a number of nymphs priority and packaged correctly I rarely see losses. Most people ship a couple extras to allow for accidents and I must say I usually end up with more live mantises than I ordered. Meanwhile I've had mantises shipped next day that perished because of poor packaging. Like Hibiscusmile mentioned, there are a lot of little things you learn along the way. Luckily for us there are a lot of experienced users willing to share their methods on this forum.

Being a fairly new mantis shipper myself, I found this old post, and I feel like even though it is old...everything mentioned in here is tried-and-true, and just as great of a reference as it was in 2009 when it was first written!  :D

How I pack my parcel

I ship in insulated cups, insulated boxes, one to a cup, and heat or cold pack. The insulation gets a small corner cut out to allow the heat pack to get air.
Only lost 50 in shipping? That's a remarkable shipping success rate Double insulated and heat/cold pack from now on! (What packing material for the cups in the box do you use?)

I think my biggest mistake was shipping L1's. I asked the buyer if they were ok with shipping L1's and they didn't answer the question so I assumed it was acceptable. (Anyone ship L1's on a regular basis?) I won't ever do that again.

Also, I should have stated "Live guarantee on Express/Overnight only." To many variables out of my control once it leaves my possession.  

Thanks for the replies.

I use USPS and do not put fragil on box as they will then use it for a football, no kidding, very serious indeed. Every now

and then I use fed ex, but US Mail most times. My cups and insulation are on my new site, at least I hope they are! Sometimes

I mess up as there are over 700 items on my site and it is a lot to remember. I never use anything but those cups and on the

lids I use the molting rings as they really give them a good foothold, no tissue ever. Only packing material I use is newspaper or

sometimes the big air bubbles, but those are from packages I get, I dont purchase them. I do not wad paper tightly as most do,

as it only makes the box weight more and does nothing to help the heat get around inside the box. Usually most packages

I get from others the heat pack is so tightly packed it is the only thing warm :p

Being a fairly new mantis shipper myself, I found this old post, and I feel like even though it is old...everything mentioned in here is tried-and-true, and just as great of a reference as it was in 2009 when it was first written!  :D

How I pack my parcel
Thank Sarah,

That's a good post and the one I followed initially.

Using insulated styrofoam cups, as hibiscusmile said, makes sense to me for a lot of reasons. The styrofoam is easy for the nymphs to hold onto; more surface area to grip, more insulation, no paper/tissue or glue strings to trap them. Of course, it adds cost... as does a heat or cold pack... insulated box...  

"Knowledge teaches you what to do, practice teaches you how to do it."

I always use the 2-3 day method and have had only a single DOA in a long time. I send them dryer to prevent the lack of ventilation from causing issues. I also feed heavily before sending, never with food in the cup. I've sent nymphs of all ages and sizes with great success. I also use paper towel instead of newspaper to pad the box.

Another note on shipping, please never ship on friday or sat. The mantis may as well go priority mail as they will be in transit 3 days, sat, sun, mon instead of mon tue when

delivered. The mail does not run the same on fri and sat. You chance them sitting in the cold and dark longer then needed and chance for them to die faster. 

Latest posts