Ants

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TranCE_Productions_Inc

Reaction score
I've got an ant problem. Everytime after feeding my mantids. When they finish their food and drop the rest of it ants smell them and they march their colonie's troops in. Sometimes fallen mantids become Victim. The ants come from anywhere, from below the grown. I've lost a few mantids because of this and leaving the area infested with ants until removed or food is gone. I've tried placing the container/tank in a tray filled with water. However, the ants managed to swim across to the conatiners. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

keep the mantid cage surrounded by a thin layer of bady powder (Johnson & Johnson might have) will keep the ants stay away. My wife use rubber ban, which was used to tight up thing here and there, to circle the cage will do the trick as well!

Is this in your house? If so how about just stop them from getting into the house in the first place?

Can you take some decent close ups of the ants and send them to me? I may be able to identify the ant species and recommend a bait that would eliminate the offending colony.
they were eliminated by my vacuum. I think the ants are black ants small one's. They have scouts roaming areas. when it dientifies food. They come back with their gang and raid my mantids habitat.This is in a room upstairs. The ants come through little tiny cracks of corners / inside the wall and from the ground. one of my mantis became a victim during a molt. They manage to keep the colony away but if they molt the ants may be able to get them. They also come after i feed the mantids, when the mantids leave behind their leftovers. I've tried to surround my tanks and containers by placing it in trays filled with water. Making it like a castle with water surrounding it. But many manage to swim across and ultimately get to the smell of the food.