Any beekeepers here?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations on doing so well on yr first try, Rick! When will you start selling honey on the forum? Put me down for a pot! :D

BTW, what does it say on yr shirt? It looks like "All American Engineers Stay Airborne", but that doesn't sound right.
Going ok so far. Real test will be if they survive winter. Most likely won't be any honey this first year since that is also their winter food in the hive.

That is what the shirt says. I was a combat engineer in the 82nd abn. Got the shirt for one of my reenlistments.

i would start this TONIGHT if i didnt have a dog and a very small yard lol. I would probably also start a veggie garden knowing that i would never have to reseed again lol. that looks very exciting and low maintenance, i would more than likely take alot of the honey and make bread before they could eat it and save it for themselves lol.

i would start this TONIGHT if i didnt have a dog and a very small yard lol. I would probably also start a veggie garden knowing that i would never have to reseed again lol. that looks very exciting and low maintenance, i would more than likely take alot of the honey and make bread before they could eat it and save it for themselves lol.
I don't have the largest yard and I also have a dog. In fact I have yet to be stung and same goes for my dog despite sticking his snout into the hive entrance for a whiff. These bees are so gentle it amazes me. Low maintenance I am not so sure about though. You gotta leave em with honey for winter or they will die. Of course how much depends on your climate.

was that your jar that has been put upside down? what the paper underneath it? was just like a coffee filter so they can suck it out of the paper or something lol.

was that your jar that has been put upside down? what the paper underneath it? was just like a coffee filter so they can suck it out of the paper or something lol.
It is a feeder. WHen first hived you need to feed package bees for awhile until they build up their stores. It should come off soon. Paper? Not sure what you mean. The brown is the entrance feeder inserted into the entrance. The jar has a lid wiht tiny holes and it sits upside down in a hole in the feeder. The feeder extends into the hive and the bees crawl into it and go up under the jar to get the syrup that drips out. The feeder is made of wood.

I really expected more interest in something like this with the people here.
Well, just found the thread...so make sure to keep posting updates Rick! Probably not venturing into beekeeping myself...but I absolutely support your efforts. I have enough bees locally and keep lots of roses, lavender and hibiscus around for them so they stick around to pollinate all my fruit trees, berries and veggies.

And I'd have trouble using bees as feeders...even though I've spotted one of the 'wild' hives nearby.

Video from the other day. It was really hot so a lot of the bees were hanging out on the ramp. You can see some foragers in the background coming and going and if you look closely some have full pollen baskets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. :)

A few bees seem to be doing alot of licking. What are they licking? Is there water or something tasty there, or is it just a bee thing?

Cool. :)

A few bees seem to be doing alot of licking. What are they licking? Is there water or something tasty there, or is it just a bee thing?
Cleaning the ramp. Actually an unknown behavior but believed to be cleaning.

Wow, what an awesome post Rick! I look forward to more updates. Like Emile said, something I'd definitely like to get into after uni and I have my own house.

I can remember when I was a kid I was terrified of bees, but after visiting a bee farm in southern BC when I was 9 or 10 that fear was gone! Such amazing and important little bugs.

Good Luck!

An update. This hive is still thriving. They have been pretty busy this winter with it being so mild. Still finding pollen to bring back. I am thinking of adding a second, traditional hive this spring but my fossil hobby takes up a lot of my free time so I am not sure yet on adding a hive.

Recent pics:

P1240083.jpg

P1240085.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark my (prophetic) word. There will one day be a market for dried, or freeze dried honey bees. (If there isn't already). You could profit from the relatively fresh remains of dead or dying crickets.

Mark my (prophetic) word. There will one day be a market for dried, or freeze dried honey bees. (If there isn't already). You could profit from the relatively fresh remains of dead or dying crickets.
I think most of us prefer they pollinate our crops and provide us with honey, wax, propolis, pollen, etc.

Latest posts