Any big appetite photos?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Reaction score
Well, I would just be intertested to see any photos of your small mantids, eating large prey. I know some can tackle montrous sized prey, anyone test out what kinda sizes your species will eat? Thought I would with one of my mios, she seems to eat anything, so I offered her a locust. And, she ate it! Heres a pic of the madam:

DSCN1919.jpg

Actually, she has only eaten the head so far, will be interesting to see how much she will actually eat of it ;)

Cheers,

Ian

I'll play:

Chinese eating a large nightcrawler

animals103.jpg

Chinese eating large grasshopper

animals154.jpg

Female H Grandis eating female chinese

animals543.jpg

Wild chinese eating a bumblebee.

mantids069.jpg

H. Grandis eating a large cicada.

mantids085.jpg

on that topic cos i'm too lazy to do a search... remember the mantid v scorpion thing we had on here - if anyone's got one of a mantid actually winning, that should definitely be on here!

Can't take credit for this pic but here is a mantis and a hummingbird.

hummer_mantis02s.jpg

Subadult Heirodula munching on a big moth:

DSCF0026.jpg

Munching on a lizard. Sorry for the blurriness:

Hungry.jpg

If you do a search for praying mantis on google video (www.video.google.com) a pretty brutal battle between a mouse and a mantis shows up. Be warned, though, that it is kinda cruel and a little gory :cry:

No worries, I confirmed it's a tomato hornworm moth, which we have oodles of here in the summer time.

If you do a search for praying mantis on google video (www.video.google.com) a pretty brutal battle between a mouse and a mantis shows up. Be warned, though, that it is kinda cruel and a little gory :cry:
I'll say. I was planning on buying my first mantids till I saw this. Don't know if I will now.

Hilly

dont let it put you off, which bit is putting you off?

mice are not the diet of a pet mantis so you dont need to worry about the blood and suffering as you give em insects

if your wooried about them being viscious mine arnt this one is in a life or death situation with someone also shaking the jar up

dont let it put you off, which bit is putting you off?mice are not the diet of a pet mantis so you dont need to worry about the blood and suffering as you give em insects

if your wooried about them being viscious mine arnt this one is in a life or death situation with someone also shaking the jar up
I guess it was the visciousness of the mantises attack on the mouse. It really creeped me out :(

I also have a few more thoughts on this, but won't post them here.

Have a nice day.

Hilly

LOL. Nothing to worry about. Yes, mantids can be aggressive but thats part of why I like to keep them.

oh dear, you would have a lot more worries about keeping something like a gecko...or shal I say, there is more potential for it to atack you, or for you to get hurt. And, have you ever ehard anyone getting hurt or attacked by a gecko? And mostly...have you ever heard anyone getting hurt or attacked by a MANTIS?

They are a joke as far as attacking goes..

oh dear, you would have a lot more worries about keeping something like a gecko...or shal I say, there is more potential for it to atack you, or for you to get hurt. And, have you ever ehard anyone getting hurt or attacked by a gecko? And mostly...have you ever heard anyone getting hurt or attacked by a MANTIS? They are a joke as far as attacking goes..
I'm not afraid of getting attacked by a mantis or any other animal. I just said it creeped me out seeing that video. The way in which a mantis kills (or should I say DOESN'T kill it's prey is what creeps me out). I'm just happy that people are BIG :D

Have a nice day.

Hilly

Latest posts