Any big appetite photos?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay yeah, I see where you are coming from..

But Il have to agree with you..if we were the size of a locust, or, a mantis larger than us, wouldn't be a particularly pleasant experience getting munched..

Cheers,

Ian

Okay yeah, I see where you are coming from..But Il have to agree with you..if we were the size of a locust, or, a mantis larger than us, wouldn't be a particularly pleasant experience getting munched..

Cheers,

Ian
Heh. The phrase "Bite me!" takes on a whole new meaning! :lol:

Well, if your that freaked by seeing a mantis eat then I don't think you'll last with it eating lots of crickets. I suggest you get a rabbit or something.. :?

Well, if your that freaked by seeing a mantis eat then I don't think you'll last with it eating lots of crickets. I suggest you get a rabbit or something.. :?
Doesn't bother me in the least to see a mantis eat a bug, but it did bother me to see that mantis chew on that mouse. And I'm still glad people are BIG. :lol:

So Samzo, what kinds of stuff creep you out?

Hilly

Yea mantids can be brutal, if you are prey. Being impaled and squeezed tight by those arms, then ripped alive by the lethal jaws. Ugh, what a way to go. At least a spider or scorpion poisons the prey. Makes me glad I'm 'top of the food chain' too ;) Could you imagine a mantid the size of a cat or dog? Being aggressive as they are, I'd say a labrador sized mantid would take down an adult human!Actually, what fascinates me most about mantids is their eating habits. Fascinating to watch. They are very efficient at what they do: eat, eat, and eat some more!

But don't let that video keep you from getting at least one mantid. Just feed it what won't bother you that the mantid will still like and you'll see how neat they are.

That video bothered me too. I noticed the guy said Roberta killed everything they ever put in a jar with her. That was just cruel on his part.

It makes you realize what they are capable of if pushed to their limits, but there is no way I would ever give my babies up.

Well, if your that freaked by seeing a mantis eat then I don't think you'll last with it eating lots of crickets. I suggest you get a rabbit or something
i couldn't disagree more i love my mantids but was disgusted by the video no way i could do that but i feed mine insects no problem

i also read on anotyher site someone was impressed the mantid could handle it then another person said it was because every time the mouse got on top they shook the jar as i said i aint watching again buit i remember they did shake the jar several times

there is a big difference between feeding them insects and mammals but i understand some of you will feed bigger things like the lizard pic and i wouodn't knock you for it as in the wild they would but i cant personally do it

Also Hilly that i guess is one of the giant mantids obviously the smaller scale something is the less detail and gore

Ok fair points. I just don't think anything gets to me (km not trying to be all hard and manly lol) Is it just the fact it was a mammal or is it the fact it was all distressed and was slightly gorey? I've fed mice to my mantis and there are pics on this site to prove it and I saw brains and all that but then again it wasnt squeeking etc.

At least a spider or scorpion poisons the prey.
I wouldn't want to be eaten by a spider, either. The poison they inject with those fangs liquifies the prey so they can just suck it up. It would be like getting injected with acid or something. Imagine how that would feel!

Yep, life is good at the top of the food chain.... :wink:

Someone should do a poll as to wheter you'd rather be injected with acid and liquified, or die having bites taken out of you. :twisted:

Latest posts