any difference in food for hydei culture than for mel cultures?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasty bugger

Reaction score
Right here, in front of this computer screen
I went and got some Hydei today, and since they grow slow, and larger, I shouldn't be over run by fruitflies like I was with all the mel cultures I made.

I will keep some mels around for the small mantis', and new borns when mine start to ooth.

* Do you do anything different for culture food for Hydei than for the mels? *

I put several ff's in my jars yesterday, and my mantis' ate all they wanted and have ignored them today, but I got a budwing in from Peter today, and he sent some household flies along with the mantis, and the mantis', that I already have, perked up when I put some of the household flies in the enclosures :) They went right for them guys, and did real well at catching them.

Now I'm wanting to culture some of the household flies, but I know I can get all of those I want this summer, with hardly any work involved.

I'll just keep a uv light in a jug and when they enter I'll cap the jug and then shake them into some kind of container to hold them. Won't be long till spring here. 72 degrees here today :) Gonna be 74 tommorrow, errr, today that is, since it's now after 2am here.

I was told a few years ago to use very little to no active yeast in Hydei cultures and have had better luck than using the same amount I would put in a mel culture. It probably has to do with the longer life cycle of the Hydei and the media breaking down too soon when you add the yeast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea but the yeast is needed for the breakdown? :huh:
I tend to put maybe 3-5 of the little granules on the media to get a small start but even when I don't, it still breaks down, just not as fast which is the key for the longer cycle time on the Hydei. Try making two cultures side by side, one with and one without, stick with the one with better yields :)

No. Use the same.
Gotta agree here. When I catch wild flies, hydei and melanogaster are attacted to the same rotten apples. They have the same feeding and breeding requirements. Can't think of a legitimate reason for the media to be different.

Grant

Have always used the exact same techniques but you are free to try something else but this works. I find the larger ones take longer to produce.

Latest posts