Any easy way to handle fruit fly cultures?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melophile

Reaction score
I bought a fruit fly culture from Petco. Picked out the container that looked like it came from the most recent shipment. Had about 20-30 fruit flies and it was easy to handle. Fast forward to today and now there are more than 200+ fruit flies. Trying to feed my mantids are a pain in the . Each feeding, I'd estimate about 5-10 fruit flies escaping and crawling all over my room. I'm just scared for the day I might drop the container, resulting in hundreds of fruit flies crawling in my room.

Does anyone have any tips for handling these fruit fly cultures?

I used to tap mine on the counter to get them all to the bottom, and continuously tapping them out with my hand/ fingers...

However, fellow member "CosbyArt" had made an invention specifically for feeding with fruit fly. I'd suggest getting ahold of him and asking about his flybaster.

Trust its worth having, ive had mine since he first started making them and can tell you first hand it makes getting flies out a thousand times easier.

I take a container and put it to the side, then bang on the top of the culture, sending them to the bottom, then I open it and pour some into the container I have to the side, I then put the lid on the culture and use this dish as the holder for a lower # of ffs. This works to avoid escapees.

I'm assuming your new culture is one of the small vials? When mantids are housed in 32 oz insect cups I cut a small hole in the side or top of the cup. I then take a small funnel and insert into this hole. I take the fruit fly culture, tap it to make flies fall to the bottom and then tap some flies into the funnel which allows them to fall into the mantis cup. I make my own cultures in the same 32 oz insect cups but the same principles for fry transfer applies except I transfer them first to one of the small vials and and then over to the mantis cup. Another option is to chill the flies in the fridge first and then transfer them. It takes practice but once you get the techniques down you won't lose that many.

I also have made a friendly feeder bottle which I have sold quite a few... plus a couple return buyers for feeding flies and crickets...

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34907
Hmm. This looks like what I might try to attempt. Gonna stop by a Walmart later and pick up some supplies.

How long do fruit flies last without the media? I was thinking I could get a couple dozen flies into the feeder bottle and just refill it when needed.

EDIT: So here's my take on dmina's feeder bottle:

Used a squeeze bottle meant to contain some sort of sauce (ketchup, mustard, etc.). Couldn't find any type of screen mesh at Walmart, so I went to the sporting goods/camping aisle and found a insect headnet. For the enclosure lid, I just poked a hole out of one of the vents and rolled up a piece of toilet paper to use as the plug. Taped up the plug to keep its shape and not have to fuss with rerolling the toilet paper.

Now all I need to do is fill the feeder bottle with a couple dozen flies, then I am able to feed my mantids with ease :)

1d046c0cc8.JPG
68b86ffbcf.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my first bottle with the straight nozzle... I could not control the amount of flies, it seemed like the slanted nozzle gave me more control... but other then that not to bad...

Have you got the hang of it yet? it does take a little practice...

Latest posts