Any inverts considered to be GIANT here in the U.S.?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat39

Reaction score
The Giant vinegaroon Mastigoproctus giganteus.  Is has to be giant, it says so right in the name.

I also guess it was depend on who is doing the considering.  I know plenty of people who consider every spider they see to be a giant freaking spider.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are all very good answers! I've actually kept all of those at one point or another.

There was this one time that I had a few Scolopendra heros and one of my bigger ones got out of it's cage and was somewhere in my room.  I seriously could not sleep that entire night.  LOL

Jeez you had a Scolopendra heros lost in your room? Those things look like the assassin worms sent to kill Padme in star wars attack of the clones.

I know this is old but here's my list

D. Granti

Lubber grasshoppers

Vinegaroons

M. Dentricus

L. Elaphus

Some longhorn beetle species

We have bird grasshoppers here that are quite impressive in size. 

The Giant vinegaroon Mastigoproctus giganteus.  Is has to be giant, it says so right in the name.

I also guess it was depend on who is doing the considering.  I know plenty of people who consider every spider they see to be a giant freaking spider.
Great example. We have a number of "giant" inverts like Dynastes and Megaphasma, but M. giganteus is the only species we have I can think of that actually may be the biggest of its kind in the world.