Any of you feed grasshoppers?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.C.

Reaction score
Hi, I was curious about breeding grasshoppers for mantid food as they aren't smelly and noisy unlike crickets. IIf you guys know a way to fix noise and smell i'd appreciate some tips.Do any of you have experience culturing grasshoppers and do they breed enough to get plenty grasshopper nymphs from them?

Yes, male grasshoppers do sing, although it is done differently then crickets. Grasshoppers use their legs to make a more clicking like noise, but crickets use their wings to sing. I have never cultured grasshoppers, but I have fed wild ones on occasion to my mantises. I think most grasshoppers you find in the wild (at least in the US) only have one generation a year, so that might be a problem in culturing them because they would not make lots of nymphs all the time, unlike feeder crickets which will breed more often.

Finding food for them would be pretty darn tricky unless your a botanist and keep in mind that if the grasshoppers are wildcaught in your backyard, chances are that it has a very persistnet pesticide on or in it.

Latest posts