Any Recommendations on how to lower Humidity and Temperature

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FabioFabiatic

Reaction score
The average humidity and temperature of my area are 50%-60% and 70F-90F. I was wondering how I could keep a glass terrarium at about 30%-40% and a temperature of about 65F-70F. 

This is a bit of a sidetrack, but I do know that some species that are said to need lower humidity will actually be fine at 50 or 60% if they are completely ventilated, A full mesh would do this.

As far as cooling? I read once upon a time of people using ice or cool packs, but I have never needed to lower temperatures.

The average humidity and temperature of my area are 50%-60% and 70F-90F. I was wondering how I could keep a glass terrarium at about 30%-40% and a temperature of about 65F-70F. 
You could try a wine cooler. Otherwise put the cage on the floor and add vents. I've purchased and used different humidity sensors and strongly believe percent humidity is barely a useful parameter, it's really about moisture, ventilation, and airflow. 

strongly believe percent humidity is barely a useful parameter, it's really about moisture, ventilation, and airflow. 
Hi @Orin. What do you mean by moisture vs. humidity?

In my short time doing this, I thought my target was humid air, and not wet surfaces.

When I read in your book about humidity and what too much of it does to a mantis, you have to know I basically bolted off my couch to dry up every enclosure I had set up. 😅

My wife would laugh remembering that night.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi @Orin. What do you mean by moisture vs. humidity?

In my short time doing this, I thought my target was humid air, and not wet surfaces.

When I read in your book about humidity and what too much of it does to a mantis, you have to know I basically bolted off my couch to dry up every enclosure I had set up. 😅

My wife would laugh remembering that night.

Thanks in advance. :)
I think of humidity as water vapor and moisture as condensed water even if it is just a film.