Anyone else culture Waxworms for moths?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I handle my worms differently. About two weeks ago, I threw 150 mature wax worms (the big white ones) that I got from my supplier (Crittergrub) into my bin. Most of them pupated in the food bed within the week. Very few of them spun cocoons. Last week, I went through the bin and collected about 60 pupae, put them in little jars with net covers and sat them on my kitchen counter where it gets warm under the lights. They started emerging as moths two days ago and I'm feeding them to the mantids..

I left the balance of the worms to finish their cycle in the bin. I have to admit that I rarely find cocoons (I came across six in the whole bin.) Even the worms that go through their entire life cycle in the bin just pupate. Wonder why? Makes a quick turn over :)

I think I handle my worms differently. About two weeks ago, I threw 150 mature wax worms (the big white ones) that I got from my supplier (Crittergrub) into my bin. Most of them pupated in the food bed within the week. Very few of them spun cocoons. Last week, I went through the bin and collected about 60 pupae, put them in little jars with net covers and sat them on my kitchen counter where it gets warm under the lights. They started emerging as moths two days ago and I'm feeding them to the mantids..

I left the balance of the worms to finish their cycle in the bin. I have to admit that I rarely find cocoons (I came across six in the whole bin.) Even the worms that go through their entire life cycle in the bin just pupate. Wonder why? Makes a quick turn over :)
That is indeed different. Any guides on rearing them that I've found all mention the waxworms making cocoons, and as you can see in my photo there is a large amount of them. Can't say I've heard of any that didn't either till now. I do know many of my waxworms also cocoon in the food (just below the top), so perhaps your waxworms just have them all buried.

Latest posts