Anyone ever tried an Oatmeal media recipe for ff?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbugir

Reaction score
Hello,

I decided to do some experimenting with some FF recipes, and after some mixing and waiting 3 days i think i've made a pretty darn good one. It's oatmeal, banana, steel cut oats, vinegar, and some pineapple chunks. So far i have a 6:1 ratio of maggots to FF, the interesting part is I added 25 ff, and so far 100+ maggots, I don't understand why my FF are producing so fast and it kinda stinks because i have no nymphs :S. Is oatmeal a gut loader or fast producing substance :p ?

Thanks

You actually count the maggots? :lol:

It sounds as though you are on track; you should have maggots after three days.

Better to have ffs and no nymphs than nymphs and no ffs!

Let us know how it went when they eclose.

I used it once and it didn't do too well. But I think my mixture was too dry.

See, Rick.... other people use oatmeal in their ff culture mix!! :p I still remember when you were aghast when I said I tried it. ;)

Hello,I decided to do some experimenting with some FF recipes, and after some mixing and waiting 3 days i think i've made a pretty darn good one. It's oatmeal, banana, steel cut oats, vinegar, and some pineapple chunks. So far i have a 6:1 ratio of maggots to FF, the interesting part is I added 25 ff, and so far 100+ maggots, I don't understand why my FF are producing so fast and it kinda stinks because i have no nymphs :S. Is oatmeal a gut loader or fast producing substance :p ?

Thanks
I usually use oatmeal, bananas, applesauce, and vinegar. I put the oatmeal in the food processor and after microwaving my banana and applesauce mixture add it to the food processor as well. Then I mix in my vinegar and after filling my containers I sprinkle on a little baker's yeast. I have found it to work very well, but am going to experiment a little bit more with other ingredients. I always have the oatmeal on hand because it's what I feed to my roaches. (Along with bananas and other ripe fruits).

The oatmeal is really good at keeping their bad cholesterol down and raising the good cholesterol...... :lol:

Haha! That's awesome, except i didnt grind the oatmeal :S i just mixed it in and they seem to be doing too well... hmm. Lets just hope it doesn't overcrowd.

I used it once and it didn't do too well. But I think my mixture was too dry. See, Rick.... other people use oatmeal in their ff culture mix!! :p I still remember when you were aghast when I said I tried it. ;)
Still though, I will continue to buy commerical medium with mold inhibitor. Plus, it doesn't stink and is a cool blue color.

I have never come across a culture from self or anyone who given time did not stink tohigh heaven <_<
Hubby just left for the week (OTR truck driver), and came up to the bug room to kiss and tell me goodbye. He walks in, wrinkles his nose, and says, "God it stinks in here!" I looked around like I didn't have a clue what he was talking about and innocently said, "What? Where?!!" ;) :lol:

I have never come across a culture from self or anyone who given time did not stink tohigh heaven <_<
Mine doesn't. It doesn't smell like roses but it doesn't stink. Can't even detect any odor unless I open it up and stick my nose in it.

what do you people put in your mediums that make it smell lol, i have like 100 cultures and theres no smell at all. Well my stuff is really simple so i guess thats the trick.

hmm what would be better though the one little canister of fruit flies or the 32 oz container that can produce 1000s of flies!

Oh d17oug18 what is your recipe may i ask?

Last edited by a moderator:
well i used the 32oz for thousands, they go faster than you think. Because my recipe is working so well i dont want to say lol and its commercial quality as i have not had any problems with smell, shipping, or random mold happening. I will give this clue, i read 100% of the FF thread and only put a few of the most common ingredients i read. There where alot of recipes and i followed none lol because none worked that well, Mels for me produce in 3-4 days(small SMALL larva) and HYDs produce in a little as 1 week. heck YA! lol, and i buy and mix different gerenations and bloodlines so flight is held back as much as possible. The best quality about my medium is that its cheap which means even cheaper for everyone else. w00t w00t!!! =P

Im sorta a nerd when it comes to researching... DONT JUDGE ME! ^_^

(insert katnapper's UFO smiley) lol

don't know much about cultures - but I bought one from the pet store down the street (yes, i'm lucky enough to have one in walkable distance) and it was fine. But after one week, dear god did it stink. I have to say, i was dreading feeding time at night just because it was such a horror to even crack it open.

My guess is they put old dog doodoo in there.

Latest posts