Anyone hatched a recently laid S. Limbata Ooth yet?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neither Fred or Gus had very good luck with the girls, did they? :mellow:
Well, Gus had better luck :p at least he connected! I believe Fred succumbed to a reach-around move :eek: :(

EDIT:

And Fred has been really unlucky. His head and about 1/4" of thorax are still alive or at least the antennae that waved are :eek: Sometimes this hobby is a little gross.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Gus had better luck :p at least he connected! I believe Fred succumbed to a reach-around move :eek: :( EDIT:

And Fred has been really unlucky. His head and about 1/4" of thorax are still alive or at least the antennae that waved are :eek: Sometimes this hobby is a little gross.
Yes, if it's going to happen I much prefer finding just a pile of wings... (like I did this morning, :p An unlucky T. sinensis bachelor that had given it his all, truly!).

Female L5 from my second batch Mandy:

3426756227_43f05a3c06.jpg

Thought it was interesting she seems to have blue-green eyes.

Man you take good pictures! Mine will never stay still enough for me to focus properly!

I just checked my smaller nymphs and i only have 1 male :(

(quick question: What F-stop/shutter speed did you use for the above picture?

Man you take good pictures! Mine will never stay still enough for me to focus properly!I just checked my smaller nymphs and i only have 1 male :(

(quick question: What F-stop/shutter speed did you use for the above picture?
Thanks! That's always nice to hear :)

Exif data for that shot:

Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)

Aperture: f/9.0

Focal Length: 100 mm

ISO Speed: 400

For flash/macro pictures, I usually shoot at the max synch speed and in the f/8 to f/16 range. Most of my macro is handheld, focusing is done manually (AF off) and lean to get focus and hit the shutter when what I want is in focus.

You probably know of this guy, but if you want serious macro inspiration see Lord V's work on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/

I hope you have that male separated! How many total do you have left?

Here's my most beastly Limbata eating a wasp after 4 crickets and an untold amount of fruit flies :rolleyes:

3439039113_ca0814717e.jpg

(sorry for the ###### picture :( )

yeah, i caught it and tossed it into the freezer for a couple minutes to slow it down temporarily and than gave it to my mantid.

lol, she is still finishing the wasp as i type :p

Holy ######!

Well I woke up to my dread......the only male I have on the floor dead!

Than I see my largest Female who is in the middle of molting to adult, but according to my records she should be molting to sub-adult! She is ridiculously tiny! This is insane! I'll post pictures compared to a ruler when I get a chance.

Holy ######!Well I woke up to my dread......the only male I have on the floor dead!

Than I see my largest Female who is in the middle of molting to adult, but according to my records she should be molting to sub-adult! She is ridiculously tiny! This is insane! I'll post pictures compared to a ruler when I get a chance.
Eesh. :huh: Sorry to hear. :(

My second batch yeilded two more adult males and three females. Mandy in the above picture has yellow wings and saddle. Quite striking, but I'm sure not that uncommon. I'll probably try mating some of the new ones in the next week or so.

Me to! There is no hope in finding any wild adult males that will be alive by the time my youngest females turn adult too, as I just found an L1 nymph in my backyard and my youngest female is L4. So much for keeping this species going!

On another note my one adult female is pink, and I just found my third L1 nymph in my backyard feasting themselves on an assortment of nymph grasshoppers, small flies, aphids, etc. I can't wait until they get big!

Latest posts