APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
Just got A Female sub adult chinese mantis from abuggin today and all i got to say is WOW she has more of a appetite then all of my other mantises put together as she scarffed down a beetle and 5 crickets and a grasshopper but as she was eating like one cricket she grabbed another one and proceeded to eat the first one then she worked on the second one and she did the same thing with the grasshopper as she was halfway done with the grasshopper she grabbed another cricket !Oh man hate to have to meet her in a alley if i was a cricket and she was in her hunting mode!

[SIZE=12pt]This is my first post on the forum. I was going to post in the introduce yourself area first, but your post caught my eye, so here I am...LOL! [/SIZE]

I'm fairly new to the mantis hobby and am raising about 30 nymphs between L3 and maybe L5 right now. Most of them are Chinese Mantis, but I think I have some Carolina (stagmomantis carolina) and possibly also a few European (mantis religiosa) in my mix. Long story, gonna tell it in another post and will be asking for some identification help. :p I really wish I had a better macro camera so that I could get really good closeups for identification.

About the appetite of the Chinese... I've got some that I am assuming are female because they are so much larger than the rest (they hatched back on June 25th) and the other day one of them ate over 30 D. Melanogaster fruit flies and a house fly within about 20 minutes. Like yours, she would be eating one and eyeing and going for the next one before she finished with the first. I've definitely got to order something to feed them that are a little bigger than the D. Melanogasters.

On another note, I was just checking my ooths and the Chinese that I started incubating on July 18th is hatching out today...so far only 5 nymphs but the "zipper" isn't even hanging yet.

Latest posts