Are any of these moths OK for mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorcham427

Reaction score
Here is the list:

Codling Moth

Gypsy Moth

Painted Lady Moth

Manduca Sexta Hawkmoth (Not sure which species can handle these)

Let me know if any of you have used these before. I can breed them and make sure they're CB.

Here is the list:

Codling Moth

Gypsy Moth

Painted Lady Moth

Manduca Sexta Hawkmoth (Not sure which species can handle these)

Let me know if any of you have used these before. I can breed them and make sure they're CB.
I have a little experience with some of these, Brian. The big problem with all of them, except for the painted lady, Vanessa cardui (a butterfly, not a moth) is the number of generations that you can raise a year. The coddling moth, an extraordinarily dangerous pest, by the way, hatches in the spring just in time for the new caterpillars to feed on the new buds of spring. They can be conveniently raised in a sleeve cage on a tree, but even if you were able to create conditions under which this moth became multivoltine, you would have a problem feeding the new caterpillars out of season.

Pick up any entomology text book, and you will find Manduca, the insect physiologists' friend. These have been raised on an artificial diet, but even if exposed to an artificial photoperiod, I don't think that you could get more than four generations a year. They are common everywhere and I have fed them to adult Chinese and Giant Asians as an occasional treat.

The painted lady is a favorite with companies that sell them for release at weddings and such, together with monarchs. You can feed these on an artificial diet, too, and raise about one generation per month. So far as being a food item, though, they are all inedible wings with very little protein in between.

I've never done anything with codling moths.

The reason that our regular feeders are our regular feeders is that they are pretty easy to raise at room temp and produce a lot of young in a short time. I think that it is very cool that you are considering branching out and finding new feeders, but lepidoptera on the whole don't seem to meet the bill.

You can feed all insects to mantids. If the mantis cannot/should not eat it they will know and drop it.

I have a little experience with some of these, Brian. The big problem with all of them, except for the painted lady, Vanessa cardui (a butterfly, not a moth) is the number of generations that you can raise a year. The coddling moth, an extraordinarily dangerous pest, by the way, hatches in the spring just in time for the new caterpillars to feed on the new buds of spring. They can be conveniently raised in a sleeve cage on a tree, but even if you were able to create conditions under which this moth became multivoltine, you would have a problem feeding the new caterpillars out of season.

Pick up any entomology text book, and you will find Manduca, the insect physiologists' friend. These have been raised on an artificial diet, but even if exposed to an artificial photoperiod, I don't think that you could get more than four generations a year. They are common everywhere and I have fed them to adult Chinese and Giant Asians as an occasional treat.

The painted lady is a favorite with companies that sell them for release at weddings and such, together with monarchs. You can feed these on an artificial diet, too, and raise about one generation per month. So far as being a food item, though, they are all inedible wings with very little protein in between.

I've never done anything with codling moths.

The reason that our regular feeders are our regular feeders is that they are pretty easy to raise at room temp and produce a lot of young in a short time. I think that it is very cool that you are considering branching out and finding new feeders, but lepidoptera on the whole don't seem to meet the bill.
Thank you for your input dude.

I am able to provide each species with an artificial diet. I am just curious what other insects with wings I could offer my alien-like gems. :)

Anybody on here have any experience with dragon flies? The breeding of any species of dragon fly is really wet as far as I know lol.

I WISH I could make some sort of mutated giant fruit fly LOL.

Anyways, back to topic... Do you recommend using any other feeders for Violins besides blue bottles?

A variety is always best if you can do it. In the warm months I will feed my mantids insects I catch outside.

Latest posts