Are mantis legal to buy and sell in michigan

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradaroo

Reaction score
Hi, can i buy and sell praying mantis in michigan? i cant find anything in writing that says i cant? Also woundering why none of the pet stores sell these awsome creatures.

there is plenty said on this subject just need to look in this part of the forum and you can find maybe a answer or something close to it! Many places need permits to even own these insects and it is not that simple to get a permit and you would have to reveal the sources of where they came from to the authorities and thats where not to many people would bother I would imagine!

Last edited by a moderator:
this means buying and selling just the native species any other species is illegal that is not indigenous to the United States meaning 1980 species of mantis would be illegal to buy and sell and the 20 species in the us are legal to own and maybe sell too but as I said anything not native to the U.S Is Illegal to buy and sell that includes mantis and many other animal species as well!Owning exotics is a matter of being under the radar and as long as they are not released into the wilds or what not then all would be safe!

Yep, as in Yes i can buy and sell mantis in michigan. I believe the answer is yes because there is nothing in writing on the michigan DOA web site that say's i cant.
Yep as in I agree with Massaman. Check out Rick's very useful posts on this under "regulatory issues".. But yes, you can buy and sell as many mantids that come from Michigan native or naturalized stock as you like. And the next question is usually, "so how come folks are buying and selling mantids on the forums?" There are somethings out there where you take your chances. As a US citizen, you can drive in Mexico without Mexican insurance until something goes badly wrong, and maybe it never will. Same with this. So long as you don't make an effort to tell US authorities that you plan on trading exotic mantids (and I guess that that is what you are referring to), they probably won't bother you. And there you have it.

only ones you can prob get away with to breed and sell and show is the chinese or the european species or a few of the other U.S species but as in Michigan there is just those two species and I am also from Michigan and only species that I ever been able to find in all my years is just the europeans and if your interested in chinese you can buy some chinese ooths real cheap at planetnatural.com though and hatch them and what not if thats what your fancy too!Y ou would need to get all kinds of forms and stuff for the exotics and then you would have to reveal your sources and what not and thats not a very good idea as many like to buy and sell their exotic species under the radar and only zoos,museums and few other institutions do get permits for the those species like orchids and what not!You can try to sell those other specues but would be risking other peoples identities if the person or persons request information on how you obtained them!

only ones you can prob get away with to breed and sell and show is the chinese or the european species or a few of the other U.S species but as in Michigan there is just those two species and I am also from Michigan and only species that I ever been able to find in all my years is just the europeans and if your interested in chinese you can buy some chinese ooths real cheap at planetnatural.com though and hatch them and what not if thats what your fancy too!Y ou would need to get all kinds of forms and stuff for the exotics and then you would have to reveal your sources and what not and thats not a very good idea as many like to buy and sell their exotic species under the radar and only zoos,museums and few other institutions do get permits for the those species like orchids and what not!You can try to sell those other specues but would be risking other peoples identities if the person or persons request information on how you obtained them!
I think i am going to stick to my poison arrow frogs and vield chameleons. Thats too bad. Looks like my vields are going to be getting an expensive feast!!!!!!

I think i am going to stick to my poison arrow frogs and vield chameleons. Thats too bad. Looks like my vields are going to be getting an expensive feast!!!!!!
OK, this is just for Michigan, I dont know about any other state. I spoke to Fish and wildlife, Michigan DNR, Michigan Department Of Agraculute, and the USDA, and APHis, which i believe is part of the DOA. FOR MICHIGAN ONLY, we can buy and sell any praying mantis in Michigan, WE cannot ship or sell out of state without a permit. So since my stock Adaults, Where originally purchased in a pet shop in michigan and my nymphs where Born in Michigan i can sell them in michigan to michigan people. They all said the samething. This is what i am going by in Michigan, all ststes have diffrent laws.