Are phids okay to ship

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider_creations

Reaction score
I was wondering about what USPS says spiders are not allowed to be shipped, now this is probably means dangerous or deadly spiders, becuase I buy phidippus jumpimg spiders and trade them sometimes. And since phidippus is native to the USA I believe that they are 100% legal to go over state lines but is there a way I can contact USPS to ask them if I can ship these harmless spiders. I'll also contact USDA and ask to make sure but I think only Exotics and agricultural pests are illegal to go over state lines which jumping spiders are neither. When I did get jumping spiders before the UPS workers at the p.o box heard that I was getting some insects (becuase I told them) and they actually wanted me to open it at the p.o box/Shiping area to see if they made it alive despite the dealay LOL :) . So I think it's fine to ship these harmless little cute spiders using USPS or any other shiper but i want to hear your opinions on this topic 

Last edited by a moderator:
USPS doesn't ship spiders. It has little to do with  being dangerous they don't ship because they are venomous. Very unfair that they don't take into account venom potency. There rules on spiders are very one sided and biased more on fear of spiders than any evidence of them being dangerous. Truthfully there should be some sort of grading system as far as venom potency biased on what can be shipped.

I have lived in cities that prohibit the sale of Tarantulas. Of coarse I asked why their response was they don't wan't a tarantula infestation. for real the guy I talked to had no idea about tarantulas.Rules and regulations for spiders seem more based on fear than evidence.

I think this site has rules about condoning illegal shipping practices so I plead the 5th on shipping practices. 

The world of a spider is Truly unfair.  :(

Crazy indeed, no matter the shipping service (USPS, FedEx, UPS) it's a no answer to a gray area one at best depending on how you/they view their rules (FedEx). Take a look at shipping spiders here, or here, or here too - many of those have even more links to more topics as well.

If you want to do something about it sign the petition as outlined here, I did myself, but as with most things it takes tons of people to get involved and as such it may not amount to anything but a list of arachnid keepers. I also did contact my state representatives as well, so I might get a letter from one of their aids like any other time I've done such a thing... ;) If even one shipping service amends their rules however for spiders of some sort, it would open the other shippers to action as well so they are not loosing out on sales/service revenue, but with the limited keepers it may be a nonissue for them all around sadly.

Crazy indeed, no matter the shipping service (USPS, FedEx, UPS) it's a no answer to a gray area one at best depending on how you/they view their rules (FedEx). Take a look at shipping spiders here, or here, or here too - many of those have even more links to more topics as well.

If you want to do something about it sign the petition as outlined here, I did myself, but as with most things it takes tons of people to get involved and as such it may not amount to anything but a list of arachnid keepers. I also did contact my state representatives as well, so I might get a letter from one of their aids like any other time I've done such a thing... ;) If even one shipping service amends their rules however for spiders of some sort, it would open the other shippers to action as well so they are not loosing out on sales/service revenue, but with the limited keepers it may be a nonissue for them all around sadly.
I'll ask the usps manager or whoever is in charge and make my case and  mabye talk to some of the works about it. I think a harmless spider should be fine to ship. this is off course a regulation made by the shipping service right ? Becuase I think they are not illgal to transport over state lines ( driving from one state to another with them ) am j right about this. hopefully all arachnid keeps can convince usps and other shippers. but I'll try to go to USPS and UPS and see if the workers will let me ship them Becuase they are harmless or see if they can talk to the Manger of the the place and start a chain effect and get the mangers of the company to decide were as long as spider are harmless they can be shipped :)

I'll ask the usps manager or whoever is in charge and make my case and  mabye talk to some of the works about it. I think a harmless spider should be fine to ship. this is off course a regulation made by the shipping service right ? Becuase I think they are not illgal to transport over state lines ( driving from one state to another with them ) am j right about this. hopefully all arachnid keeps can convince usps and other shippers. but I'll try to go to USPS and UPS and see if the workers will let me ship them Becuase they are harmless or see if they can talk to the Manger of the the place and start a chain effect and get the mangers of the company to decide were as long as spider are harmless they can be shipped :)
In those links I've read there was at least one person that let the postal service know what was in the box and they shipped it anyway. The only issue to watch out for they say is with USPS as it is a government agency if you are caught (as in their rules all spiders are prohibited items in the mail) it is a federal crime, with other shippers it is not.

Regarding shipping across state lines and such as far as I am aware that is still completely legal (some states may have some laws though). The USDA and such though likely will respond that it takes a permit, the default response to any question (such others saying no you can not) when they are not sure. ;)

Best of luck though, either outcome from their managers/etc is only at your location though as the service in other areas will respond differently.

In those links I've read there was at least one person that let the postal service know what was in the box and they shipped it anyway. The only issue to watch out for they say is with USPS as it is a government agency if you are caught (as in their rules all spiders are prohibited items in the mail) it is a federal crime, with other shippers it is not.

Regarding shipping across state lines and such as far as I am aware that is still completely legal (some states may have some laws though). The USDA and such though likely will respond that it takes a permit, the default response to any question (such others saying no you can not) when they are not sure. ;)

Best of luck though, either outcome from their managers/etc is only at your location though as the service in other areas will respond differently.
I can't even think of what usda would say, Becuase there not exotic nor plant pest. so I can't imagine them making any sense if they say I woukd need a permit. I'll probably use fed ex and label harmless animal Becuase they are in fact harmless animals 

I thought this topic said "Aphids OK to ship?" and was going to answer that they almost certainly aren't.

Latest posts