are the fruit flys in the uk the same as in the us? 5:1 life size - 50% cropped.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro junkie

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
i got my new fly culture today so i took a pic of 1 of them..i think its about 2mm?

Last edited by a moderator:
The eyes are pretty in the first pic. :)
i got what i told me to get today.flightless fruit flys..they gotr white eyes.!i took some pics..il post them later..my culture is new..i see small maggots but i wonder when il have lots of flys..fromaggt to fly?how long?

i got what i told me to get today.flightless fruit flys..they gotr white eyes.!i took some pics..il post them later..my culture is new..i see small maggots but i wonder when il have lots of flys..fromaggt to fly?how long?
Bout a week, if you have d. hydei it may take longer, d. melanogaster takes about 3-5 days ish? I'm not totally sure.

You will get boom and bust cycles in your culture, a few weeks you will have nothing but maggots and pupae, and a few weeks later you'll have a whole lotta flies.

Last edited by a moderator:
2082356162_f4db934d2c_b.jpg

hey MJ that last one looks dead. you know better than shoot a dead critter only lives one are allow :lol: :lol:

Bill

resizefly5.jpg

crop0028.jpg

Latest posts