Are they really that ferocious??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! i've never been bitten by a praying mantis! though my mum had once, but i think it just mistook her for food, they often whip out thier front claws at me, sometimes to rebuff me if i'm getting too close to thier mouth using the "backhand" of thier claw, sometimes they seem to do it to greet me if i offer them my hand, they'll put thier front claws on it as if checking if its stable to climb on...these are all captive mantids though! i dont know about wild ones!

i would have thought that a mantis would give a threat display before actually grabbing or biting you, right? i've only seen mine give me threat displays a few times, my chinese mantis does it when its hungry and iritable, and my prohierodula picta occasionally puts on a threat display... i dont even know why, but its very friendly normally!

I had to pry a male hierodula off of my hand with a wooden skewer. It was weird, he didn't strike - just slowly lowered his mouth to my skin and just chomped. My family was around and they were crackin' up and I was squealin'. It seemed to go on forever! He didn't break the skin, just pinched. We put a label on his enclosure 'crazy' because he'd have a go at whoever went in his enclosure. :blink:

found a orchid again :) . when i was examining it with GLOVES . It broke the glove and gave me 2 slashes . I injured it by accident .

mantisattack.jpg

Did you find it on a flower? If you did, you have very good eyes as they blend in very well with flowers. By far you are the most lucky person I have ever known. You had like 3-5 Tropidomantids fly in your window and found and orchid mantid. Whats your secret? :D