Artificial Insemination...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
How long do you think it will be before humans manage to artificially inseminate our mantids? It'd have to be a very hard procedure, to say the least.

Any theories on how to inseminate a mantis?

how do you propose collecting the spermataphore from the male? I don't think theres enough intreest or reward for people to do research into it.

Yeah, just curious. I'm also into falconry, and they cross breed species through insemination.

Understandably, cross breeding is dangerous in this hobby, so it is not for cross breeding, but more for breeding. For example, if you have a virgin male that wants to die a virgin, then you could miraculously collect his spermatophore and inseminate the female.

Have you guys ever thought about removing and using the spermatophore on a mated female?

Really? Artificial insemination of an insect?... This has got to be one of the craziest topics I've seen in a while.

You've got to show me one of those.
Yeah, understood. I was just curious, as a last ditch effort. What I meant by "virgin male" was a male who would refuse to mate with a flaming passion.

I'm SURE that there is a way. Honeybee virgin queens can be artificially inseminated in order to specify the genes. These queens are awfully expensive though. It is a delicate process and special, expensive equiptment is needed.

EDIT: But, of course, you've got the honey industry that is world wide. The artificial insemination of honeybees benefits the world.

With mantids, they are either wild (in which case, may do best if breed natural by natural selection) or pets (in which case, the only benefit to artificial insemination would be for the keepers. Not a big drive for scientists.).

EDIT: Mantids mate on a surface. It is fairly easy to at least select an appropriate partner for the mantids. With honeybees, they mate while flying 10-40 meters from the ground. The drone dies after mating, and the former virgin queen mates with around seven (more or less, depending on the amount of drones in the Drone Congregation Area) before returning to her hive. The queen will never mate again after that mating flight, while mantids can be remated, and the males do not die.

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be a way but nobody will be interested. The Honeybees case is quite different because there's the honey industry behind it and a lot of money involved.

It's way more practical as we are now. Finding a male and a female and let the magic happen. If either one apparently fail to accept mating for some reason then they must be discarded to avoid the proliferation of bad genes.

It may be possible if you could produce a perfectly shaped model of a female mantid's reproductive structures to collect the spermatophore and then use a perfectly shaped tool resembling the male's reproductive structures to transfer the spermatophore. To be honest, it would be far more practical and inexpensive to allow them to reproduce naturally.

It may be possible if you could produce a perfectly shaped model of a female mantid's reproductive structures to collect the spermatophore and then use a perfectly shaped tool resembling the male's reproductive structures to transfer the spermatophore. To be honest, it would be far more practical and inexpensive to allow them to reproduce naturally.
Unfortunately every species has differently shaped genitalia.

It is because of the difficulty of producing perfect replicas of such delicate structures of not one, but every species, artificial insemination would be unfeasible.

It is because of the difficulty of producing perfect replicas of such delicate structures of not one, but every species, artificial insemination would be unfeasible.
what if we could make a tiny metal frame to affix to the legs and bottom of abdomen and use electrodes to zap a spermetaphore out of a dead or old male, using an RC to control the metal frame and make the body mount and connect the female??

what if we could make a tiny metal frame to affix to the legs and bottom of abdomen and use electrodes to zap a spermetaphore out of a dead or old male, using an RC to control the metal frame and make the body mount and connect the female??
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh goodness. Let's hope agent A never gets his hands on any of this equiptment. :D

Latest posts