Asian forest scorpion substrate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerC

Reaction score
I went to a reptile store with my dad today just to kill time; it's a neat place- we got to pet the water monitor, and they're somehow selling an African crested porcupine. Anyway, I came back home with a new scorpion!

She's an Asian forest scorpion, a little bit on the small side, and the store keeper said she was one of the most docile scorpions they'd had. She's also eating well, as evidenced by how far apart the sections of her exoskeleton are. :D I'm keeping her in the temporary cage she was sold in for now... we're going out to buy a proper setup tomorrow.

This brings me to my actual question: is coconut fiber a suitable substrate for these scorpions? The temporary cage is filled with a similar (albeit chunkier) substance, topped with dried sphagnum moss and a piece of bark. I've been doing lots of research, but all sources I've found so far are incredibly vague.

I use coconut coir for my Asian forest scorpions. I have one tiny baby, and around 7-8 slightly larger young forest scorpions. None have died or shown ill-effects from the substrate.

They are wonderful scorpions. 

Latest posts