Asians mating now

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malnra

Reaction score
As I figured, as soon as I order an ooth they would mate .... az little help from uncle geoff to get them climbing up the branch and he eventually made his move ...

no biggie ... maybe i will put her ooths outside until nearer the spring ...

our of curiosity .. how long after they mate does she usually shoot out an ooth ?

As I figured, as soon as I order an ooth they would mate .... az little help from uncle geoff to get them climbing up the branch and he eventually made his move ... no biggie ... maybe i will put her ooths outside until nearer the spring ...

our of curiosity .. how long after they mate does she usually shoot out an ooth ?
Haha, like I said, I think mating mantids are in conspiracies against us. :p

Usually depends on how old they are/how much you fed her prior to mating. I stuffed my P.O. female full before mating and she'd been an adult for 3 weeks. She laid an ooth for me the next day. Some will lay a few days later, others will lay 2-3 weeks later.

Haha, like I said, I think mating mantids are in conspiracies against us. :p Usually depends on how old they are/how much you fed her prior to mating. I stuffed my P.O. female full before mating and she'd been an adult for 3 weeks. She laid an ooth for me the next day. Some will lay a few days later, others will lay 2-3 weeks later.
My female was not interested in more than 1 cricket the last couple days. I hald expect her to grab this male before he is done. So far she is still not interested in a cricket, but then again she is busy ... lol .... If the male makes it away I will offer her another cricket.

It is kinda funny as he has her by the lower back and is hunching over as if to keep himself small. I got a couple pics of it.

mantis p0rn ... i wonder if the feds will be knocking at my door if i post it ... :D

Which ooth may you put outside? If it's the giant asians you wouldn't want to do that as the cold will kill it.

The mating has nothing to do when they lay an ooth. She will lay one regardless of mating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which ooth may you put outside? If it's the giant asians you wouldn't want to do that as the cold will kill it.The mating has nothing to do when they lay an ooth. She will lay one regardless of mating.
ahhhh .. thanks rick .. i probably would have asked it in a thread of it;s own before i did it ,,, but thanks much for that tip .. i guess it will be VERY interesting to have 2 species going at one time ... will make it easier to see which does better for me though ... if i get too many asian ooth's i may try putting one in the fridge just to see .... it's not like i can deal with 800 baby mantis at this point in time ... though i would do like you and leave them all in one tank until 3rd .. the strong would survive and weed out inferior mantis ....

i will breed mantis that are agressive towards prey or they will be darn hungry sobs ... LOL

ahhhh .. thanks rick .. i probably would have asked it in a thread of it;s own before i did it ,,, but thanks much for that tip .. i guess it will be VERY interesting to have 2 species going at one time ... will make it easier to see which does better for me though ... if i get too many asian ooth's i may try putting one in the fridge just to see .... it's not like i can deal with 800 baby mantis at this point in time ... though i would do like you and leave them all in one tank until 3rd .. the strong would survive and weed out inferior mantis ....i will breed mantis that are agressive towards prey or they will be darn hungry sobs ... LOL
Just sell the ooth. That is a tropical species and their ooths have no foam to protect them. They have a covering almost like a dry paper or something. Right now I am incubating four ooths all of different species. You will want to keep them together as it would be very time consuming to seperate and feed that many nymphs. I don't think I even have enough containers for all of them.

Just sell the ooth. That is a tropical species and their ooths have no foam to protect them. They have a covering almost like a dry paper or something. Right now I am incubating four ooths all of different species. You will want to keep them together as it would be very time consuming to seperate and feed that many nymphs. I don't think I even have enough containers for all of them.
ohh i was talking about the other species i already ordered from ian .. the Africans ... 2 species going at once is a likelyhood ... it will just be a smaller number of each species that make the final cut i guess .... as far as selling the extra ooths ... sounds good on paper ... locating a buyer is another thing .. hehehe ....

ohh i was talking about the other species i already ordered from ian .. the Africans ... 2 species going at once is a likelyhood ... it will just be a smaller number of each species that make the final cut i guess .... as far as selling the extra ooths ... sounds good on paper ... locating a buyer is another thing .. hehehe ....
Post it on here and it will sell. I have never had trouble finding someone to buy. Good luck.

After about 9 hours the male jumped for his life and made it. I immediately offered a cricket to the female and she took it quickly. The male did not want one, though i pushed it at him (dead one) until he grabbed it. If he is hungry he will eat it, if not I just killed a cricket for no reason. Lucky they are cheap.

Now to see if the female shoots out an ooth or two or more ....

She may lay one for you in a couple of days, how old is she? The older she is, the sooner she'll lay her ooth.

She may lay one for you in a couple of days, how old is she? The older she is, the sooner she'll lay her ooth.
Not sure, I got them both as adults about 3 weeks ago ....

No worry ... once she lays one, then i will begin to wonder how soon to order some fly cultures to start and some pinhead crickets ..... if memory serves me .... 4 week incubation seems to be the timeframe

Not sure, I got them both as adults about 3 weeks ago .... No worry ... once she lays one, then i will begin to wonder how soon to order some fly cultures to start and some pinhead crickets ..... if memory serves me .... 4 week incubation seems to be the timeframe
Three weeks huh? Then she'll probably drop an ooth for you in 1-7 days time.

Not sure, I got them both as adults about 3 weeks ago .... No worry ... once she lays one, then i will begin to wonder how soon to order some fly cultures to start and some pinhead crickets ..... if memory serves me .... 4 week incubation seems to be the timeframe
I wouldn't bother with the pinheads. Order you some fly cultures now. Get them going way ahead of time and keep the cultures going.

Still no ooth, which is not a big surprise to me. Last night I took the male out and offered him a cricket which he was not interested in. I let him crawl on my hand, but he kept looking around as if he wanted to jump off. I thought he might be looking for that female, so I put him on the 2 1/2 foot tree she has been on for almost a week now and he locked onto her.

I put the tree in my half bath last night figuring he could easily get away from her. This morning he is doing it again with her. I tried to offer her a cricket and she would have nothing to do with it. Just that claw back get away from me thing they do when they dont want something.

I figure what the heck, in the wild he or another mantis would probably go for her.

Just an update to up my post count and say Happy thanksgiving to my US friends. :D :D :D

Still no ooth, which is not a big surprise to me. Last night I took the male out and offered him a cricket which he was not interested in. I let him crawl on my hand, but he kept looking around as if he wanted to jump off. I thought he might be looking for that female, so I put him on the 2 1/2 foot tree she has been on for almost a week now and he locked onto her.I put the tree in my half bath last night figuring he could easily get away from her. This morning he is doing it again with her. I tried to offer her a cricket and she would have nothing to do with it. Just that claw back get away from me thing they do when they dont want something.

I figure what the heck, in the wild he or another mantis would probably go for her.

Just an update to up my post count and say Happy thanksgiving to my US friends. :D :D :D
let us know what happens cause im breeding these..im months away but il be interested to see what happens...good luck,

Be careful not to mate her too much, as she can reject sperm from him while he is mating AND the previous ones introduced into her system. (aka she will be totally infertile again)

Latest posts