Assistance in sexing two Giant Rainforest Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinR

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Back again with another sexing question. I've had two Giant Rainforest Mantids since midway in the Summer. They're from the same ooth so they've been aging at pretty much the same rate. The eldest is L6 and the sibling is L5 going on L6 any day now. I noticed recently that their segments are a tad different but they have virtually the same shape and size. Here are some pictures attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The First set of four photos is the L6 Giant Rainforest. I suspect this one to likely be a female. Both of them almost always keep their abdomens bent far upward no matter what position they're in.

The next set of four photos is of the slightly younger Rainforest Mantis who I noticed had what appeared to be a smaller extra segment but still a very round abdomen shape. See below:

21690995_1841844795871556_172012017_n.jpg

21698165_1841844792538223_1041043680_n.jpg

21729193_1841841835871852_216827058_n.jpg

21691242_1841841855871850_1966631444_n.jpg

21698043_1841848225871213_1338487174_n.jpg

21729118_1841841862538516_713171001_n.jpg

21691363_1841848215871214_1153671242_n.jpg

21691102_1841848222537880_555656227_n.jpg

It's a little hard to tell from the photos, you can't see the very bottom segment. But to me it looks like you were right. Top is a female and bottom is a male. Though I'm not sure. In my pairs the male is always ahead in maturity than the females. Though this is doesn't work as a sexing factor.

It's a little hard to tell from the photos, you can't see the very bottom segment. But to me it looks like you were right. Top is a female and bottom is a male. Though I'm not sure. In my pairs the male is always ahead in maturity than the females. Though this is doesn't work as a sexing factor.
You say that you're new to the sexing thing but I'd say you're close to an expert! Thank you for all the comments on my Mantids! I really appreciate it.

Best way to mate mantids is have the male on a surface, put then put the female in front of him. You'll want to do this 2-3 weeks after they are adult, so that they both are ready to mate. 

You say that you're new to the sexing thing but I'd say you're close to an expert! Thank you for all the comments on my Mantids! I really appreciate it.
Haha thanks. Looks like I got the hang of it. Looks like I have a couple pairs then if I have been right about these. I can wait till I can breed for the first time! And good luck with your breeding!

Best way to mate mantids is have the male on a surface, put then put the female in front of him. You'll want to do this 2-3 weeks after they are adult, so that they both are ready to mate. 
Thank you for the tip. I'll make sure to do that. I successfully mated two different Carolinas by putting the male behind the female so he could watch her walk around. Both times worked thankfully. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Update! My Male (Cleff) has reached his last molt and now has beautiful long wings! The Female (Piper) is now Sub Adult and has one molt left! They both had healthy molts.

1st: Piper
2nd: Cleff
3rd & 4th: Piper

5th: Cleff getting ready for Halloween.

22551518_1870450623010973_106487318_n.jpg

22627429_1874362902619745_427448047_n.jpg

22627558_1874361792619856_422266539_n.jpg

22635017_1874361099286592_2049157628_n.jpg

22686423_1875478835841485_241627743_n.jpg

Wow they are both so pretty! Love the wings on this species. For some reason I'm fascinated by the way the subadult wingbuds look... they are like the exact wing but in a miniature form. Good luck with them! You plan on breeding?

Wow they are both so pretty! Love the wings on this species. For some reason I'm fascinated by the way the subadult wingbuds look... they are like the exact wing but in a miniature form. Good luck with them! You plan on breeding?
Thanks! Me too. I have to say though the wings on Vance, my Adult Rhombodera may be my favorite for now. But yeah I'd love to breed them. She's about a month behind him though molt wise so He'll be a little older by the time she's ready. They're both healthy and active though! Aggressively catch roaches and moths when they're offered and don't pass up a drink from the mister. I'll get some pictures of Piper's wing buds. I noticed that right before Cleff's final molt, his wing buds enlarged more and were raised while he was hanging upside down. Before he slid out of his old skin. These two have lived most of their lives on fake tomato plants sitting in different rooms. I only had them in a terrarium when they were L1-L3. They've never left the plants so I think it means I've been doing okay raising them! Most of my L4+ Mantids live outside of a terrarium and this has gone very successfully now and in the past with other generations I've had. The only ones I keep in a tweaked environment are the Idolos in a big heated Exo Terra.

Yeah Rhombodera have nice wings as well. I'm sure he will still be around by the time she's ready. 

Wow you've kept them out of enclosures for that long! That's amazing. Surprised the males havent run away. Wanting to try some free roamers so I have some more confidence after hearing about that. Though now that your male is an adult I would recommend putting him away. He will start to move around looking for a mate as soon as he reaches sexual maturity so you don't want to lose him!

You've got some idolos too! How old are they? Had any major trouble with them? I've been keeping them now too and the only problem I've had is getting is getting my female to eat in a big aquarium. Other than that I just hot glued a bunch of birch sticks to the top for them to molt on. 

Yeah Rhombodera have nice wings as well. I'm sure he will still be around by the time she's ready. 

Wow you've kept them out of enclosures for that long! That's amazing. Surprised the males havent run away. Wanting to try some free roamers so I have some more confidence after hearing about that. Though now that your male is an adult I would recommend putting him away. He will start to move around looking for a mate as soon as he reaches sexual maturity so you don't want to lose him!

You've got some idolos too! How old are they? Had any major trouble with them? I've been keeping them now too and the only problem I've had is getting is getting my female to eat in a big aquarium. Other than that I just hot glued a bunch of birch sticks to the top for them to molt on. 
Yeah that's something I tried a while back with my young Giant Asian Females when they were little. They never left their plants as long as I fed them and misted them on those plants. It has worked mostly the same for all of my other older Mantids. Vance has been kept on a couple different house plants since he was L5 but never left any of them. I transferred him to a large one after he got his wings. He will spread them and flap them when I walk by him occasionally but I've never seen him leave the plant. For safety reasons though I keep them all in different rooms on plants. None of them are close to each other.

Currently I have the Two Rainforests, Two Adult Giant Asians, one L8 Ghost, one L8 Brunner, 3 L3 Venosas, 1 L3 Giant Asian and one L3 Megaera living on individual house plants. None of them have left thankfully! I noticed the younger I place them on plants, the better chance they stay on them and recognize them as their homes when they get older. I did have one issue with Noelle where if the plant was too close to a curtain she would wander up to the very top but ever since I got her a tall grass plant she hasn't done that. (I think because she feels like she's much more at home on a tall grass plant)

The L2 and L3 Nymphs I mostly like to keep in mid size terrariums until they're old enough for the outside test. Sometimes the Nymphs will roam off of the plant and I have to put them back on them and sometimes they just never leave them. One of the reasons I want to keep most of them out is because the Nymphs will rub their faces against their terrariums and I really want to avoid them damaging their eyes so this is one of my solutions that seems to be working with most of my Mantids! All Mantids are different though so one thing I need to stress is supervising them like crazy if you're going to put them on a plant alone for the first time.

But yes! I have two L1/L2 Idolos with another couple on the way! We need to trade notes on them  because I still need to tweak their Terra for them. It has screen for them to hang onto and sticks and long straw to climb. I should add more though. I keep it at about 79-84 F with Humidity between 60 and 70% depending on where they are in the cage. The two I have right now tend to spend most of their time in the vicinity of the Ceramic Heater and eat exclusively Fruit Flies. I'll give them BBs after they reach L3 most likely.. if they make it to L3 god willing.

Sounds like you got a lot of free roamers! Didn't know a ghost could go to L8 without being an adult? I will have to try at least one free roamer as my family has cats so I will most likely only keep one out in my bedroom. Hopefully your adult male doesn't leave!

Last time I checked(I'm away from home atm) I had 3 L3 males and 1 L4 male and then 2 L3 females. Though I expect for most of them to have molted to L4(really hoping they molted all right!). As far as their conditions I would recommend higher temps and for you to hot glue grippy sticks(birch or lilac) to the screen for molting. I keep half of my aquarium at around 90 degrees and the other half just above room temp. Your humidity is perfect though(although I've heard 40% from the breeder I got them from). Feeding them bb flies now.

Sounds like you got a lot of free roamers! Didn't know a ghost could go to L8 without being an adult? I will have to try at least one free roamer as my family has cats so I will most likely only keep one out in my bedroom. Hopefully your adult male doesn't leave!

Last time I checked(I'm away from home atm) I had 3 L3 males and 1 L4 male and then 2 L3 females. Though I expect for most of them to have molted to L4(really hoping they molted all right!). As far as their conditions I would recommend higher temps and for you to hot glue grippy sticks(birch or lilac) to the screen for molting. I keep half of my aquarium at around 90 degrees and the other half just above room temp. Your humidity is perfect though(although I've heard 40% from the breeder I got them from). Feeding them bb flies now.
Nice! Sounds like you could teach me much better on how to care for them. The gauge levels out at about 80/82 during the day but the gauge is placed on the far side of the Terrarium and not close to the Lamp. When I put my hand inside I notice it's much warmer in the area of the lamp where the Devils perch and a little cooler out by the Temp and humidity gauge. It's a big Terra so I think they have plenty of space for now. It also has the rocky and textured foam backdrop which might help them for later molting. Best of luck on your Devils! I really want to hear how they grow and how you care for them. It'll help me a lot. I did quite a bit of reading and research before I got my Devils but there is always room for improvement!

was my main point of reference in preparing for and during my Devil keeping.

Oh ok if the gauge is far from the lamp I can see how it would be cooler. Then I would say you're all good on temperature. A foam backdrop would probably not help for molting as mantis molt completely upside down.

Oh ok if the gauge is far from the lamp I can see how it would be cooler. Then I would say you're all good on temperature. A foam backdrop would probably not help for molting as mantis molt completely upside down.
True! I was reading that having side screening one one or two sides may help them in later stages because sometimes they will molt upside down and use the side for part of their molt. I may be wrong on that. It also helps them in that they can climb up to the top easier. I would like to get some fake vines to run along one or two sides for them. I do know they have plenty of sticks and straw for now to crawl and hang along and hunt as well as molt from.

Latest posts