At what point do I euthanize my mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greninja_VMAX

Reaction score
I have had a male mantis since he was an L2. He has been getting old and he has two missing tarsi and a raptorial broken at the joint. He still seems to be able to walk and eat, but I don't know how much discomfort he is in. I have considered euthanizing him, but I don't know if it is too soon. If anyone could give advice, that would be really helpful.

I have had a male mantis since he was an L2. He has been getting old and he has two missing tarsi and a raptorial broken at the joint. He still seems to be able to walk and eat, but I don't know how much discomfort he is in. I have considered euthanizing him, but I don't know if it is too soon. If anyone could give advice, that would be really helpful.
I recommend to continue providing him with proper care and let nature take its course.

Update: I noticed he was nibbling the branch in his enclosure, so I thought he was thirsty. I took him out of his enclosure and gave him a pool of water to drink from. He has been drinking for 30 minutes now, and I don't know if something is wrong. Does anyone know if that is normal behavior.

Update: I noticed he was nibbling the branch in his enclosure, so I thought he was thirsty. I took him out of his enclosure and gave him a pool of water to drink from. He has been drinking for 30 minutes now, and I don't know if something is wrong. Does anyone know if that is normal behavior.
Sounds like he hasn't ate in a while

He's gone. RIP.:cry: I don't know if he lived long for his species. He lived 10-11 months, and is spiny flower mantis.
Sounds like the average lifespan for a male. He was likely dehydrated when he was drinking, but it was old age that got him. Mantises are short lived.

Just gotta do our best to appreciate the while they're with us.

I always have this dilemma I have special needs mantis (old)by the end - I just cant kill them-unless they are bad off-disfigured bad molt etc not survivable-I even make a support hammock of of knee high stocking when they cant climb move-and continue to feed them then recycle them into my isopod bin into the circle of life at death

Latest posts