Atlas moths anyone?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoDave

Reaction score
Howdy, just wondering if anyone here had experience with the various large atlas's? Just ordered 5 cocoons and have only kept two before and it was years ago, any tips on keeping them nice and healthy please?

Cheers,

Dave

I had some atlas moths, bought some cocoons at the AES. However, only 1 out of 6 hatched, and when it did hatch, it failed to spread its wings :(

Thats Joe Rogers for you ;)

Cheers,

Ian

I bought 2 of Joe and both hatched although I pinned 1 up wrong so it couldnt get out very easily and screwed its wings but the other 1 did great. Heres a few pics:

100_1131.jpg

100_1128.jpg

cool pics! Shame things of beauty always end up being pinned :(

Best one (in my opinion) is the moon moth - actias selene... the COOLEST caterpillars! - plus the boths are quite pretty and large too

I like moon moths too, I reckon the exotic moths are prettier than any butterfly!

I rear a lot of different species of Saturniid moths. As Jesse mentioned, they don't eat as adults. Different species eat different plants as larvae. A few, like Attacus atlas, will eat many different things. Good winter food plants are Peppertree (Schinus spp.) and Privet (Ligustrum spp.). Here's some pics of what I have going right now:

Top to bottom - Argema mittrei, Opodipthera eucalypti, Rothschildia forbesi

Closeup of O. eucalypti

Group of R. forbesi larvae on pieces of twig while I clean and give them fresh leaves

A. mittrei sitting while I clean their container

Plastic sweater boxes for rearing

Cocoons of tropical species waiting to hatch

Cocoons of temperate species overwintering in my fridge

O. eucalypti adult

Epiphora bauhinae adult

Antherina suraka adult

yeah, moon moths are the coolest :D Also got some of those at the AES...free!!! They mated tho, and then wouldnt stop :/ then the male died, still hanging on to the female.

lunamoonmoth1.jpg

lunamoonmoth.jpg

so furry and cuddley :D

Cheers,

Ian

Hi, Those pics and the information are exactly what I needed. Obie, how long from hatching from the ova to a full grown lavae ready to go onto next stage? The species i've ordered is Attacus atlas. I have both the food plants you mentioned for it in adundance so that's a good thing, looking forward to it now and also recieving a large 'mixed lot' of stick insect eggs today so it's all go right now :)

Thanks again!!

Dave

It varies quite a bit Dave, both between species and with temperature. Attacus atlas takes around 2 months to go from egg to cocoon at 80 F. Most species take around 1 and a half to 2 months. Argema mittrei take around 3 months (the larvae get over 6 inches long and 2 in diameter :shock: and A. atlas larvae can reach nearly the same size). Keep A. atlas warm and humid in all stages. The timing of their emergence from the cocoons is very unpredictable...I have had siblings emerge 6 months apart. One way to get matings of that species if you get lucky and have a pair out at the same time (you can put them in the fridge for up to a month to keep them alive when waiting for a mate to hatch), is to hang sheets on the walls of a bathroom and place the pair on the sheets, then once they settle down and stop being active - run the shower for a few minutes to get the room steamy....kill the lights and by the next morning you may have a connected pair.

Wow,

I never realised that they can get so big after looking at these pics. DO they fly or is it just for show? Noob question I know but just checking :lol: .

Cheers, Cameron.

what do you keep the atlas in when adult i presume they need a nice amount of flying space

Ok,

that was a stupid question of mine earliwer but it's just I can't believe that such a big insect can fly. looks like the weight of the wings would pull it down.

Cheers and apologies for being a retard :) , Cameron.

Latest posts