australian laws please

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dragnos

hey does anyone know the laws on importing insects into australia

it would be a great help if any one knows

THANK YOU

i have been emailing customs for 5 mounths now

all they told me was that there was no laws about insects therefore im not alowed them :D ty

this is really a big step (in convincing my dad to get them:)

ok im back after a few mounths

still no luck...

can anyone please help

Im looking on how to export from Oz :S

Why do you need to import? get stuff from minibeasts wildlife or one of the other insect farms around! theres plenty of private dealers selling natives :)

Would you be able to give us some of these other private dealers that are out there, I have been searching for well over 2 weeks online now for an Australian place to buy Pseudomantis albofimbriata egg cases. But I can't seem to find anything. Minibeast also charges ~$40 for each mantis and I would like to own 2 males & 2 females so that I can breed them for future pets. But $160 is a lot to spend for some insect pets (I will either have to wait until I can catch some - which I will do & tried yesterday with no luck) or.... keep searching :(

I've spoken to NSW customs (Sydney airport import customs) numerous times and my responses were always the same, there are no specific laws (in NSW import rules) about the importing of mantids, there are strict rules for other insects like flies and roaches but absolutely nothing on mantids.

The answer to my question "Can I import mantids or oothecas?" was ~There are no specific laws prohibiting them, customs cannot stop them from delivery

Whether or not there are other types of laws out there that prohibit the ownership of certain mantid species is another story but as far as customs is concerned; they aren't concerned (In NSW anyway) which was demonstrated when my creo gemmatus ooth breezed through customs even with "Live harmless insect" stamped all over the packaging.

I wish there was something I could link or reference to but there just literally isn't any piece of anything in NSW import law (or Australian law at all I believe) that references mantids in any way, shape or form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got some somewhat good news for you maybon.

After speaking with customs again, I asked if I were to have something imported is it then illegal for me to send it interstate which was met with ~you'll have to check said states rules and regulations.

But and this is a big but, you can apply for an import license for any type of live animal in any state, it is subject to approval ofcourse but single or pairs of insects that aren't flies and ants are 'gauranteed' (Was what I was told so I can't comment on the accuracy of that) acceptance.

The permit doesn't just apply to interstate but international imports.

Downside is it's $85 for the application fee.

All can be done online though and I was told to list the use as 'display purposes' since it is the closest to pet keeping and the application you want to use is the broad one (Application to Import Live Animals (Zoo Animals, Lab Animals, Birds and Eggs) even if it's just ooths.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import/application/electronic-applications

Well that is great news, I will have to apply when I get some cash for some of the cooler species.

I've got some somewhat good news for you maybon.

After speaking with customs again, I asked if I were to have something imported is it then illegal for me to send it interstate which was met with ~you'll have to check said states rules and regulations.

But and this is a big but, you can apply for an import license for any type of live animal in any state, it is subject to approval ofcourse but single or pairs of insects that aren't flies and ants are 'gauranteed' (Was what I was told so I can't comment on the accuracy of that) acceptance.

The permit doesn't just apply to interstate but international imports.We have a permit just like this in the US and to my knowledge you can only get them if your a zoo or animal ed program. I think they try to keep them out of the hands of hobbyists. Good luck anyways though.

Downside is it's $85 for the application fee.

All can be done online though and I was told to list the use as 'display purposes' since it is the closest to pet keeping and the application you want to use is the broad one (Application to Import Live Animals (Zoo Animals, Lab Animals, Birds and Eggs) even if it's just ooths.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import/application/electronic-applications
We have a permit just like this in the US. I think you can only get them if you are a zoo or animal ed program but i could be wrong. To my knoledge I think they try to keep them out of the hands of hobbyists. But good luck anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts