Baby food

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugmankeith

Reaction score
Does anyone feed their mantids chicken or beef baby food? They are high in protein, and especially for pregnant females really give a nutrition boost to produce larger ootheca.

I've also used it for feeding weaker or injured nymphs that weren't catching as much prey as needed, the extra protein kept them full and the energy to keep hunting so they were able to grow.

Males a day before mating benefit from it too.

A mantis has caught a hummingbird so chicken is just more fat but same thing.

I like this! I will try it sometime if I have a weakling or a mantis getting ready to mate or lay an ooth.

Just make sure no lemon juice or garlic is an ingredient, find the plain flavor I think it's stage 2 brand Beech Nut.

I put the baby food in a cup with a dab of water so it's like a smoothie texture, and then smear it on the mouth with a toothpick. Give the mantis water after so the baby food doesn't crust on the mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone feed their mantids chicken or beef baby food? They are high in protein, and especially for pregnant females really give a nutrition boost to produce larger ootheca.

I've also used it for feeding weaker or injured nymphs that weren't catching as much prey as needed, the extra protein kept them full and the energy to keep hunting so they were able to grow.

Ive never given them baby food but have given them deli chicken, cat food, watermelon and cherries, and roast lolSome will eat it, others wont... Some seem repulsed, others think of it as a nice meal

I've often wondered myself if feeding a mantis baby food/fresh deli chicken/turkey..ect was alright but never wanted to risk loosing a favorite... Guess it makes since after seeing the hummingbird video on natgeo and the web.

How many members I wonder actually feed their mantids meats... Curiosity =|

When I was doing research on mantids I kept reading that with the exception of honey they would only eat living things (well except for the psycho Budwings who will seriously eat ANYTHING) and within that only things that moved. I wouldn't have even thought to try feeding stuff like that but now I suppose I'll try it :)

I bought some this evening and fed one of my weak idolos. I added distilled water and she really liked it. Thanks for the info!

You know I always chuckle when someone brings up baby food, but it probably would have made things easier for me with my one girl that had a deformed mouth and could only eat soft food. I used to mush up crickets and other insects for her. :chef:

Quite a thought. Perhaps babyfood with pollen would be an ideal meal for gravid females? (=

Quite a thought. Perhaps babyfood with pollen would be an ideal meal for gravid females? (=
It worked for my female, but really any mantis can benefit from it, Gravid females just much more or pre mating perhaps to spare the male.

hmm curious, I do believe that it can have benefits, as well as drawbacks, mantids almost exclusively eat invertebrate prey, which has far less fat than vertebrate tissues, so if fed too much animal protein, it may result in health issues, so only sparingly would this be good :)

Latest posts