Baby Jumping Spider drains Hydei!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm saving up for the Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM.
That's a good lens. Better than mine. I don't have IS and I don't feel I'm lacking without it.

You can save yourself $450 dollars by getting the non-IS version that I have and use that money to get a serious macro flash unit (MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite Ringlite Flash, MR-14EX TTL Macro Ring Lite Flash). You could almost afford the MR-14EX with that savings. I lucked out and found an open-box MT-24EX for the price of the MR-14EX. I guarantee the flash will have a MUCH bigger impact on your photos than Image Stabilization.

Soo awesome,and my critters will only take fly heads once Ive made the red goo come out lol,must taste as good as it looks :p What species is the last mantis,with the really high scooped points on the eyes? It looks incredible

Soo awesome,and my critters will only take fly heads once Ive made the red goo come out lol,must taste as good as it looks :p What species is the last mantis,with the really high scooped points on the eyes? It looks incredible
That's a Heterochaeta sp. I'm trying to breed them but not having much luck so far. One of my favorite species. They get huge.

Their threat display is pretty amazing.

Heteroa-fthreat_2496-sm.jpg

Heteroa-fthreat_1897-sm.jpg

Caught one of these in my backyard this morning and has already eaten lol... Do these get any bigger?

BTW you take some kick arse pics!!
Thanks!

Depends on the species but most get quite a bit larger than this. I have an adult female Phidippus audax that's about the size of my thumb nail. Just feed it a lot to cut time between molts.