Baby Surprise!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeesKnees

Reaction score
So, a few months ago, I had found a wild Hyllus diardi/"heavy jumper" in a rubber plantation, and took her home.
She promptly spun herself into a cocoon and died a few weeks later, much to my dismay. I wasn't sure what I did wrong, and for that reason, I was pretty certain I wanted to just stick with raising what I actually know about (mantids)--and leave the poor arachnids alone from then on.

Being exceptionally busy,I didn't have much time to clean out the deceased girl's terrarium, so it had been tucked away on a shelf in my office, with no lid.

Cut to last week, my fiance spotted a very tiny jumping spider wandering across his laptop screen, and called me over to look at it. After a brief inspection, I said "Man, it looks like a miniature Fleur (the name I gave my heavy girl)". But--you know...there are countless species of jumping spiders in thailand, and what were the chances that an H. diardi hatchling just happened to show up in our office? Pretty unlikely. I scooped it up, and put it out in my garden.

When I returned to the office, I spotted another one on the wall! Odd... I scooped her up as well, but now I was legitimately curious. Where were these babies coming from!?
I turned my eyes up to the ceiling, and I'm sure you can guess by now, the sight that met me was pretty astounding. Countless little jumping babies stared back at me. The ceiling was covered in them!

It turns out that Fleur had laid eggs before she died--and now, the hatchlings were all over my office.

I released a bunch, and kept a bunch... They're living in a very large terrarium together right now. I haven't really taken any photos of them, they're so tiny--but today, a pair of them were hanging out very close to the terrarium glass, so I snapped some quick shots with my phone's camera:

tumblr_nigl8o7v9X1tkp6iao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nigl8o7v9X1tkp6iao2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nigl8o7v9X1tkp6iao3_1280.jpg

I can only count 5 or 6 of them at any given time, but as you can see from that last photo, the enclosure is huge, and they are very tiny...so I don't actually know how many little broodlings are in there right now...

Also, it seems strange that all the babies appear to be female. Male and female Hyllus look very different in adulthood--but do they all start off looking female? Or...did the hatchlings eat all the males before I was able to catch them? Or...could parthenogenesis be possible? I was scouring for some males (because if this works out, I would have liked to breed them), but the hatchlings all looked identical. I get really skeptical about the idea of parthenogenesis though. I'm wondering if the males just look like the females at a young age, and then mature to develop male features? Or does temperature/light/humidity play a factor in whether or not males are hatched?

????? I want boys B|

(also, any advice in raising these little broodlings would be great, if you have any experience with heavy jumpers!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always loved jumping spiders and these are neat. I saw some of these for sale in the US a while ago and was unfortunately unable to purchase them.
I believe they don't start to show any drastic sexual dimorphism until they are nearly adults.

thats awesome that you got her babies! its very interesting too, i wonder if the males look more maleish as they age as well. Its kind of like mantids, they all look the same til a certain stage, then you start noticing one is bigger or one is smaller etc

Turns out these guys are everywhere around here! The adults are just mega hard to come by.
I found this little nerd on some shrubs near a parking lot:

tumblr_nj5i9juKhk1qfd61lo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nj5i9juKhk1qfd61lo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nj5i9juKhk1qfd61lo1_1280.jpg

looked pretty hungry with that twiggy little booty, and is the same size/instar as my other broodlings--so I took it home :] No lack of foodstuffs for 'im, now!!

These spiders are disgustingly cute... I look forward to seeing if I'll have any viable pairs when they all grow up!

Sorry to hear about Fleur, but it's great you have her babies. It's funny to see how discovered them, roaming loose everywhere, I could only imagine.
laugh.gif

Nice to see there are plenty to find when you know they are around. ;)