Back in the game

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote

Reaction score
hello guys, maybe some people remember me, even though i didnt post much. I was here in 2016 while being the proud owner of a sphodromantis lineola that passed away in april 2017.

After that i bought a gecko teratoscincus roborowskii which was very interesting but i sold it as i  wanted some change so i decided to take my old nano tall terrarium out of the closet and start another mantis vivarium. I prepared the vivarium today with plants and i cant remember if a cup of water is needed ? I also have reptile UVB lights, is that fine ? to bring some heat and light for the plants as well... I plan to stock the terrarium with a single phyllocrania paradoxa or maybe something else, it depends on which species will be available at the store.

I'm also wondering if i should try to buy a male and female and mate them to stock the 45x45 exo terra i have. But maybe I will put some kind of reptiles if i find something that appeals to me.

Or could the nano tall be tall enough for 2 ghost mantis ? i dont want them to fight lol

cheers

Hi! Welcome back! I don't remember you because I wasn't on the Forum when you were, but it is always good to have more experienced people on the Forum!

UBV lights won't have any benefit or do any harm to a mantis. If you need them for the plants, they should be fine. If the terrarium is large enough, you can keep several ghosts in there, but it might be easier to feed them in a separate cage so that they find the food. 

- MantisGirl13

welcome back. :)

i  wanted some change so i decided to take my old nano tall terrarium out of the closet and start another mantis vivarium.
better put no cup of water in your mantis home  Your mantis can drown when he falls. Only misting is enough. they can drink That and they get fluids from their prey

Or could the nano tall be tall enough for 2 ghost mantis ? i dont want them to fight lol
Better keep them sepatated. my ghosts are in their own homes too so they can't eat each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better keep them sepatated. my ghosts are in their own homes to.so they can't each other.
He has a fairly large cage, so if he fed the ghosts well he could avoid cannibalism. If the cage was smaller, I'd say keep them separate.

- MantisGirl13

I have a nano tall. They're 8x8x12h.

A few ghosts should be fine. They need to be close in instar/size though to secure against cannibalism. That and plenty of smaller prey. And plenty of perches. 

That's my understanding. Having said that, I keep mine separate. 

And welcome back, @Coyote! 👊😁

I've only been here since end of last year.