Banana

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinx

Reaction score
I was having a bad day yesterday, and decided to relax with my Ghosties. My daughter hadn't finished all of her banana and I didn't want it to go to waste. I was curious if they would be interested in any fruits, so I sliced off a piece and set it my hand. All three rushed in and start nibbling on it. The third got a bit camera shy, but he was the most eager to dive in (with his whole head!). He must have a bit of a "sweet mandible", because he was the only one interested in honey a few days before.

1095070_10151637666459335_1190077197_n.jpg

I'm not going to do any more experimenting, but I had seen people feed them honey and fruits online. By no means is their only diet. I just wanted to give them a little treat.

Cute pic! My old girl Patty liked a peice of french fry from Burger King the other day. Banana is the better treat though. Only a ghosty I have liked `nana. I have tried it with others and no takers.

Awwwh! It's funny how they go for it so quickly and happily. Thanks for sharing Precarious' video, Paradoxica.

Honey is a good, natural treat for mantids, because they'd probably receive traces of honey (more so nectar and pollen, though) if they caught and ate a honey bee or similar insect. Other insects that eat fruit - like fruit flies and wasps - may also be on a mantids menu. So natural treats seem to be fine - in moderation.

Some mantids though, like orchids and other "flower" mantids, have been said to need supplements of honey/pollen to maintain their health when kept in captivity without access to wild prey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

I really wish I could have gotten them all together though. Honey/Banana is a sometimes treat and I rarely do this unless I'm in a bad mood and need some cheering up. :tt2:

I don't think my Chinese is interested in fruits, but she loves honey in small doses. She's a picky eater and it's hard for me to find things she'll even try. Took me while to get her to not run AWAY from meal worms.

Paradoxica: That's where I got the idea from.

That's a new one on me! I'll try some nana with my T. sinensis - but I doubt they'll take to it. And I KNOW Ponder will turn up her nose. She goes for ripping, twisting, screaming flesh only.

Latest posts