Basic Questions/How do we choose?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArvadaLanee

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a praying mantis (or two) for my 8 year old twin boys. Obviously, I will be helping them with the care and maintenance of these pets, but I would like them to be able to help, and observe, and even hold the mantis we choose.

So, my first question is, do they bite? This would not stop me from getting one. (My snake bit me once, and even one of our cats accidentally bit me while eating out of my hand.) I just want to know, so it wouldn't take us by surprise. Do some bite more than others, or have a more painful or serious bite? These are things I would like to take into consideration before choosing.

It is so hard to know which species would be best! We have been reading a lot, but of course, my boys want to choose by the cool pictures they see. Also, I have read some conflicting info, and am trying to sort it all out. My little budding entomologist, really wants an orchid mantis, but I read somewhere that they are illegal to own in the US, and that they are difficult to care for. I read that Chinese mantids are a great choice for beginners, but then another site said they completely disagree with that. I need some advice on how we should choose, and how to know what to believe. What are some kinds that you guys would recommend?

Thanks for reading, and thanks to anyone willing to share your thoughts and experiences. :)

Chinese mantis is a perfect starter, you could also go with Stagmomantis carolina... Both are incredibly easy to care for... The only disadvantage the Chinese has is its last few molts could end badly. Chinese get up to 4 inches (some can exceed...) and become heavy.

I really wouldn't recommend an orchid as a starter, but that's my opinion.

If the kids are going off looks (like most kids will lol) then id say check out the ghost mantis. They're incredibly easy to care for and have a unique look and build to them.... But they are exotics, so releasing into the wild is a "NO-NO".. which could be an issue if you felt that this hobby isn't for you. (though if you placed a for sale add, I'm sure one of the members would buy it...)

As far as biting.... Well, I personally have never been bitten... Yet? But have been snatched a few times. It more so surprises me than hurts. But every mantis is different, they've all got their own personalities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we have been continuing our research, and I think we have narrowed it down to 4 that we want to look further into.

1. Ghost Mantis (phyllocrania paradoxa)

2. Asian Green Mantis (hierodula patellifera)

3. African Mantis (sphodromantis lineola)

4. Indian Flower Mantis (creobroter pictipennis)

Hopefully, I've got those right. No matter which one we get, we would not be releasing it outside. They have such short lifespans, it really wouldn't be a big deal if the kids lost interest, although, I don't think they would. I am fine with taking care of a praying mantis myself, (unlike the tarantula one of the kids keeps asking for! Yikes!) These all seem like neat little creatures, so now we have to figure out which of these would be the best fit. Or which 2, maybe. The twins do have a birthday coming up soon, so maybe I can get them each their own. It will depend on if we can use both enclosures we have already. :)

There are probably a few great beginner pets not on my list, but these are just the ones my twins showed the most interest in. Of course, there were others they were interested in, that were not for newbies, so I narrowed it down to the 4 I thought were most appropriate for us as first time mantis keepers. :)

At early instars tenodera may not be the best because of there low survival rate

Yes. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on whether or not the Chinese mantis is good for beginners. I think either way, we will try to get a pet that is in later in stars, just so we can learn with adults first. It may be a bit easier for us.

You should get the book, Keeping Mantids, by Orin McMonigle. It's great, has pictures on all but two pages in the book, and isn't boring like most books. Anyways, you should consider Parasphendale species or Deroplatys species. They're large, look beautiful, are easy to care for, and are good eaters (Parasphendale more so than Deroplatys). There are many other great mantids, but I really like Deroplatys and I've heard good things about Parasphendale.

You should get the book, Keeping Mantids, by Orin McMonigle. It's great, has pictures on all but two pages in the book, and isn't boring like most books. Anyways, you should consider Parasphendale species or Deroplatys species. They're large, look beautiful, are easy to care for, and are good eaters (Parasphendale more so than Deroplatys). There are many other great mantids, but I really like Deroplatys and I've heard good things about Parasphendale.
I may end up getting that book as a birthday gift for my twins. :)

I looked up both of the species you recommend. They are very cool looking. Do they startle easily? The care sheets I read on them mentioned that they can become frightened when you try to hold them. My kids are super sweet, and very gentle, but they are only 8, and they tend to get excited. They just love all living creatures. :)

I may end up getting that book as a birthday gift for my twins. :)

I looked up both of the species you recommend. They are very cool looking. Do they startle easily? The care sheets I read on them mentioned that they can become frightened when you try to hold them. My kids are super sweet, and very gentle, but they are only 8, and they tend to get excited. They just love all living creatures. :)
I agree there is nothing like a printed book to hold in your hands. :) I have a tablet and read PDF books and such with it too, but I prefer paper any day - and recommend that book by Orin as well.

I replied to your hello thread too (just saw you seen it); however, regarding mantids getting frightened, many do easily and others not so much(seems some of it is their personalities, some is their aggression as some are very aggressive (and a search for the mantids in question usually shows their aggression levels too). More than anything it depends on how fast you move around them, their mood at times, and more than anything if you got them hand trained as early as possible and keep getting them out occasionally as they grow.

I had a adult Carolina mantis that I rescued wild, and she would head-butt my hand then walk around it, never once did she climb into my hand (any attempts other than resting my hand near her ended in her running off crazy). Other species/mantids I raised since L1 to L3 become quite tame and most run into my hand as soon as I open their habitat.

I have never been bit, although I heard it can happen rarely, although at times I though one was going to and it seemed to suck up sweat that was on my hand. ;) The worse I have had was one slap it's forearms at me, a aggressive Double shield mantis (Pnigomantis medioconstricta), but it doesn't hurt and just gave me a jump as I wasn't expecting it. :D

Regarding Budwing mantis (Parasphendale affinis) vs the Malaysian deadleaf mantis (Deroplatys lobata) I would recommend the Deroplatys lobata, as they seem to be a more hardy species (but are more expensive too).

I had 3 Budwings I got at L3 instar and 2 Deadleaf's at L2. Both my Deadleaf mantids were very hardy (one molted to adult lately and the other died last night actually) and had no issues and a species I would rate with my Ghost mantids as my favorites. From my Budwings I got down to one mantis quickly as two died, but the last one I still have and it seems to be doing fine. Just overall it seems the Deadleaf's are a stronger/hardier bunch.

Well, we have been continuing our research, and I think we have narrowed it down to 4 that we want to look further into.

Creobroters are pretty small so probably not the best for tiny kid fingers. Ghost mantises can be on the more timid side as far as handling. Both the Asian and African mantis however are robust, good size species. They also tend to be calm as far as handling.

I'll admit the Chinese mantis is one of my favorites to suggest as a starter, especially if you want something for kids to hold. They tend to be very curious and super active. They will happily crawl around on hands. If you go to YouTube you will can find all sorts of videos of little kids holding this species. The only reason some people try to argue they make poor starters is some find they have a higher death rate in the first couple instars.

Creobroters are pretty small so probably not the best for tiny kid fingers. Ghost mantises can be on the more timid side as far as handling. Both the Asian and African mantis however are robust, good size species. They also tend to be calm as far as handling.

I'll admit the Chinese mantis is one of my favorites to suggest as a starter, especially if you want something for kids to hold. They tend to be very curious and super active. They will happily crawl around on hands. If you go to YouTube you will can find all sorts of videos of little kids holding this species. The only reason some people try to argue they make poor starters is some find they have a higher death rate in the first couple instars.
Agreed.

Also, Hierodula is a great choice as well in my opinion.

Go with a Ghostie, great starter mantis.

The boys kind of have their heart set on a ghost now. We may end up with more that one kind, if things go well with the first guy. :)
If you can try and get a female. They tend to be bolder. Plus when they reach adulthood they don't tend to be as flighty as the males.

Latest posts