Bask Mantids' Collection and Breeding Progress

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baskmantids

Reaction score
While going through the forum's thread gathering information, I came across Dimina, Lame, Alexander, and Sally's collection threads and I was inspired to create my own .I would like to become a mantids breeder, as I plan to be in the hobby for awhile.I'd like to keep exotic species in the trade and maybe even help shine some light on the mantis keeping hobby in hopes of raising it's popularity here in the states.

One day I came across a video on Youtube of a guy showing off an orchid mantis and fell in love. I began to google praying mantis and came to find out that there are plenty of mantids species that are kept as pets. From that point on I just knew I had to get one of my own. Shortly after coming to that conclusion, my lovely girlfriend expressed to me she would like to get me a new pet for my birthday. We then came to the agreement that she would get me my first mantids species.

After searching the web and some Facebook groups for a reputable breeder that had a species available that I liked I found Dave Larsen, and chose to buy my first mantids off of him as he had groups of L1 Pseudocreobotra wahlbergi nymphs that i just could not turn down. I got eleven nymphs. Sadly, I lost a good amount of them due to amateur mistakes and mismolts. I'm now left with four females amd omly two males. I'm hoping those few make it to adulthood and breed for me. :)
#2 l6 female pseudocreobota wahlbergi

L6 #4 female pseudocreobotra wahlbergi

L5 #5 female pseudocreobotra wahlbergi

#7 female l6 pseudocreobotra wahlbergi

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck on your collection and breeding efforts! My first kept species was P. wahlbergii too! I really enjoyed keeping them - although, I was not able to get any ootheca from them. Yours are looking great! Keep it up.

- Garrett

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the collection grow!! ^_^
thanks mam been liking your too, have some more pics to post just kind hard to do this on my slow computer

Good luck on your collection and breeding efforts! My first kept species was P. wahlbergii too! I really enjoyed keeping them - although, I was not able to get any ootheca from them. Yours are looking great! Keep it up.

- Garrett
thank you, gonna need the luck i can get. as i plan on getting alot of species soon.

April 23rd, 2015
I received a package for MikhailsDinos in the post. He sent over a big group of Stagmomantis Carolina, 16 made it and as a bonus i got a pair of Popa Spurca Crassa. Got more then i paid for :) . The Stagmomantis are now at instar four and the popas are around their sixth or seventh instar.

L3 Stagmomantis Carolina

L4 Stagmomantis Carolina

Looking good!.. This is how it all starts... Lots of luck... keep us updated!

Looking good!.. This is how it all starts... Lots of luck... keep us updated!
nice work so far!
thank you guys, means a lot. i have my girlfriends help me out cuase my spelling isnt to great haha

i just copy and paste everything.

oh and thanks agian dmina for showing me how to post the photos

May 13th, 2015
The sibylla pretiosa ootheca hatched at out, giving me 31 little long legged nymphs. Six of these guys went to DETHCHEEZ in a trade. while many other died off to amateur mistakes. leaving me this 4 nymphs :/

L1 sibylla pretiosa nymphs

May 18th, 2015
I traded DETHCHEEZ 6 Sibylla Pretiosa for a sub adult pair of Miomantis Caffra, a subadult Miomantis Binotata, and two female mantids that I never was able to identify. Maybe you guys can help? The Miomantis Binotata got her wings on may 23,2015. Would love to get her a Male if anyone has one they can give as a breeding loan or has one i can buy plz pm me. she is so pretty would love to have more.

Miomantis Caffra Female

Miomantis Caffra Male

Looks chinese to me. I see a yellow spot where the arms attach to the thorax. They are an excellant starter specie and grow big. Watch out though, thier ooths can hatch out hundreds of babies!

It's great you want to breed the exotics but dont do too many at first, it is very easy to overwhelm yourself with too many!

Great pics.. they are all looking good.. look like they are being spoiled properly! Keep us updated!

Latest posts