Beekeeping

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can guess that bees don't enjoy smacking into objects. If you go slower, they'll see you and can change their flight path accordingly. Also, when you move, you create a black/purple light that they see. This tells them what is moving and where you are, and they are encouraged to sting where this light is.

Beetle traps in place—the kind that fit between frames. Solid bottom boards may be hindering the hives' ability to keep the beetles in check.

Beetle traps in place—the kind that fit between frames. Solid bottom boards may be hindering the hives' ability to keep the beetles in check.
I've always heard it was more the case for mites. I use a bottom board in winter and none in summer and I don't see any difference in the number of beetles.

I use a screened bottom board for my hives. Allows for better air flow, less mites (though I haven't seen a single one :clap: ), and a cooler hive. There is a removable piece that can be inserted under the screen from the back. Vaseline or a sticky board can be placed on it, to allow a reading for mite populations. During the cooler months it can be put back in to control mites and keep the colony warmer. I've heard that you can keep it out all winter long since the bees only heat the box they're in, but it seems to me that it would cool down the hive... :huh: Thoughts?

I use a screened bottom board for my hives. Allows for better air flow, less mites (though I haven't seen a single one :clap: ), and a cooler hive. There is a removable piece that can be inserted under the screen from the back. Vaseline or a sticky board can be placed on it, to allow a reading for mite populations. During the cooler months it can be put back in to control mites and keep the colony warmer. I've heard that you can keep it out all winter long since the bees only heat the box they're in, but it seems to me that it would cool down the hive... :huh: Thoughts?
The one I was thinking of has mesh with holes large enough for beetles to also fall through—into a tray of cooking oil.

I want to make comb honey... But the super filled with comb rounds is expensive!!!

I got three bee catalogs: Mann Lake ltd; Dadant; and Brushy Mountain Bee Farm. Now I can compare prices easier then trying to track things down online. Also I can fold over the corners. ^_^

Speaking of bee-chores... I need to get into my hive and remove that sugar/syrup feeder insert. No doubt they've already had loads of fun filling it up with comb. I also need to make a caution sign to go around their fence. And to unscrew the entrance reducer in the newer hive without being stung.

Got stung on the inside of my left foot this morning by an unknown insect in the field today... Went up there in flip-flops and thought I got stabbed by a thin piece of dried plant... I pulled it out, and knew it was a sting when it began to hurt more... So I've iced it and it doesn't hurt anymore, but it's swollen and I have a muscle on the side of my foot that's either cramped up or tight or something. And we're backpacking for two days soon. Fun stuff. :stuart:

EDIT: It was probably a honey bee, seeing as my foot is very swollen. Well, at least it's just a bad reaction - not an allergy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sending me the link to this thread, ScienceGirl! There is a lot of really good information on here that I will have to remember for someday when I want to start beekeeping. I'm going to follow this thread so I can stay up to date. :)

bee_flower.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sending me the link to this thread, ScienceGirl! There is a lot of really good information on here that I will have to remember for someday when I want to start beekeeping. I'm going to follow this thread so I can stay up to date. :)

bee_flower.gif
Well we're pretty much all amateurs so keep that in mind. There are many good beekeeping forums.

bee_flower.gif
Glad you're here!

What Rick said is true. Also, one of the best things you can do is try to "shadow" or work with a beekeeper to see if you enjoy it. Reading beekeeping books is also very good and your public library probably has some.

Just did a hive-inspection. Everything looks good. Lots of bees, TONS of bur comb (filled a large Mason jar, quart I think, with all of it!). Oh, and... AAH! AAAAH! AHHH!!!! :blink: :pinch: I think I found a wax moth... I wasn't sure, but I crushed it, and it looks like the pictures of wax moths that are online... It flew to the outside of the supers. Now I'm going to have to check on wax moth distribution... At least I haven't seen one varroa mite! :D

Earlier this year I saw evidence of wax moths. So far no issues. I try to be mostly hands off with my bees.

Earlier this year I saw evidence of wax moths. So far no issues. I try to be mostly hands off with my bees.
I like to let them do their thing, too. I haven't inspected in over a month, maybe two or three? I'll have to check my last post. This thread is pretty much my beekeeping journal... I really need to get it down on a hard copy, though, for my beekeeping binder...

Inspections (AKA clean-up) can help keep working the bees easier for next time if you remove any burr comb from the frames and cover and scrape propolis off of the rims of the hive bodies. Also, you get some lovely wax!

It's that time of year, soon! MEDICATION TIME!!! :D :clap: Well, ordering comes after finding out exactly what I need...

Latest posts