Been looking for a forum like this

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thamnophis X

Reaction score
Hi my name is Brandon and I'm soon to be 20 and am wrapping up my sophomore year of college. I'm majoring in evolutionary biology and bioinformatics, and if I make it through I want to pursue graduate studies. I was always interested in animal biology and I attribute much of that to trudging through my backwoods looking for bugs as a kid. Although, it was not until about a year and a half ago that I became as interested in insects and arachnids like I am now. I've always considered myself a reptile person, but this personal interest in arthropods and a recent internship I've just completed at an Aviary has made my interests much more rounded. Birds are cool too I've learned lol.

I actually collected my first mantis, an adult female Tenedora sinensis, just as I was walking out of my internship late this past fall. Unfortunately, it passed away about a month or two ago from old age but I'm excited to collect another one this spring, as well as purchase my first non-native mantis. When it comes to inverts, the only thing that rivals my interest in mantids is my appeal for true spiders.

I had a decent collection of Pennsylvania native true spiders until recently, which include Steotoda grossa (False black widow), Agelenopsis pennsylvanica (grass spider), Tengenaria domestica (barn spider), Dysdera crocata (Woodlouse Spider), Dolomendes tenebrosus (Woodland fishing spider), Cheiracanthium mildei (Yellow sac spider), Peucetia sp. (lynx spider species), Argiope aurantia (Yellow garden spider), and a Trochosa sp. (Wolf spider species). I was pleased with it for it being my first season collecting, but this spring I plan on achieving more as far as both mantids and true spiders.

I've been looking for a forum like this for a long time, I'm not sure how this one managed to slip under my nose. Thanks for having me!

Hello Brandon and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

If your looking for a non-native and exotic looking mantid species get a Phyllocrania paradoxa. They are a awesome pet, great for even beginners, and is easily available online. That is a lot of spiders, but no worries there are several other keepers here too.

Best of luck on your insect collecting trips this spring - I know I got some plans for it too.
thumbs-up2.gif

I agree with Thomas... Ghosts are a lot of fun..and quite animated... Looking forward to your mantis adventure... not to fond of spiders so ... I can't comment there.. trying.. but just not a fan..LOL

Welcome

Hello Brandon and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

If your looking for a non-native and exotic looking mantid species get a Phyllocrania paradoxa. They are a awesome pet, great for even beginners, and is easily available online. That is a lot of spiders, but no worries there are several other keepers here too.

Best of luck on your insect collecting trips this spring - I know I got some plans for it too.
thumbs-up2.gif
That is exactly what I had in mind, I'm glad to hear from experienced keepers that the ghost mantis is a good choice. Not to mention they look awesome.

Thanks for the welcome everyone

Welcome! We share a love of biology - I'm inAP bio this year and loving every moment of it! I too have always lived gathering all kinds of insects. I can totally see grabbing a bug as I walked out of an internship!

I agree about ghosts. I kept natives for years, but ghosts were my first exotics.

welcome!

Ghosts are awesome and easy to keep.

this forum has so much info and all the members are helpful, you will like us!

Latest posts