Beginner enclosure- 3rd instar Ghost Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One large hex and one medium hex. I'm getting 1 Ghost and 1Indian Flower. I may have ordered the wrong size, but I wanted them as big as possible since I'll display them at school. (I'm a teacher)

Thanks! I should have ordered express. My initial plan was to move them into these when they got a little bigger, but the containers I have now are probably larger than those are. They are 1 gallons.

Humm, well I say if you are getting babies, you need to start with something smaller, and u did say they were babies, let me see, have u used the cloth lids? is that the ones you have trouble with?

I haven't ever used any of this stuff. You can't use it with tarantulas(my main hobby) , because the can bite through it.

Let me know what I need and I'll add it to my order if that's possible. I've gotten so much advice, I'm dizzy ,

Not that I'm complaining! I just dont know what to do. The housing for mantids is very different than for tarantulas!

Well I will include a couple cups for you and you try them out, as they grow you can change them, don't fret over it all, your containers as I said are fine, maybe a little big for now, but otherwise I like them. I have some jumping spiders I catch here in the Bugatorium and I just put them in any container for mantis and they are fine. Dont know if they are happy or not, but I don't know no better.

I just figured out what you meant about lids... I'm kinda slow.. LOL

I HATE deli lids. I won't use them. Several times when I used to try to use them I almost killed my slings (spiderlings) trying to get the lid open. Everyone else seems to love them, but I can't get the hang of opening the lids. I'd rather pay $20.00 for something with a normal lid, as to have to deal with a deli cup!

Well these are deli lids, they have been revamped, so maybe it wont work for you. I will send u something, don't worry. Maybe a couple of my used containers that I use every day.

That's why I bought those big 'honkin' 1 gallon acrylic jugs. They have a normal screw-on lid.

I went back to get the half-gallon. I didn't get it the first time because it just looked too short, and they were all gone.

I was so MAD. I've still got these gallon ones all ventilated. I just tore the flowers and stuff out of them. They have the screen windows, Velcro screen tops, and screen on one full side on the inside.

Are they too big for sure. They are the same containers in the pictures, just with nothing on the inside. The entire top is attached with Velcro so I can just pull it back.

It's okay if I can't use them. I had fun making the little windows and stuff. :)

Well these are deli lids, they have been revamped, so maybe it wont work for you. I will send u something, don't worry. Maybe a couple of my used containers that I use every day.
Thank you so much for your help! I'm sure I will be asking more questions as I work on my "Mantis Mansions.". :)

post office open today so stuff is on the way, sent 2 deli cups fixed for the babies, clean so just go head and use, also send two regular lids for the containers u brought, but if you do not use the deli lids I sent with them, then u will have to provide ventalitation, otherwise those lids do it all. U know, kinda like magic lids, but not!

If I can do most things by removing those sponges then maybe I can tolerate the deli lids. It's just usually counterproductive for me to scare my inverts to death right before I feed them. LOL!

I wish we could use the hole/sponge stopper idea with tarantulas. It's an awesome idea!!! They would chew right through that sponge though.

I LOVE my enclosures!!! Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!! The nursery cups you made me are perfect. Both of my babies are hanging upside-down in my 'spider room' and eating a fruit fly. :)

One more question. When my mantis's got here I got so excited that I put them in their cups with nothing in the bottom. The lids to their little shipping cups are in there, paper towel side up. I don't know whether to disturb them by trying to get paper towel in the bottom or not. What should I do?

Latest posts