Beginner questions about mantis food

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderpants

Reaction score
Hi, I’m thinking of getting a mantis (Probably an orchid) and am doing my homework to see what’s involved. The main issue seems to be with the needing live food. From reading up, the recommendation seems to be to mainly give them flies (houseflies or fruit flies depending on mantis’s age), and as I don’t like flies and have a small flat, I’m not keen on dealing with them more than necessary.

I gather from having a look through this forum that you can buy fly pupae in bulk and store them in a fridge for up to a month, taking one or two of them out a couple of days ahead of time and putting it in the mantis enclosure to hatch out. Is this right, and if so, anyone know where to get them from in the U.K?

First of all, I don't suggest starting with an orchid. A ghost mantis or giant Asian would be much better for a beginner. 

Second, fruit flies are necessary only for small mantids, but once they ger older you have a lot of prey options. Fly pupae is a popular, easy option. Myself, I use roaches and mealworms because they are easy to breed which keeps down my expenses. Some people use crickets, although this is not recommended. 

In your case, I suggest mealworms or fly pupae, because they are easy and last a while in the fridge. 

As of where to get them, I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help because I'm in the US.

- MantisGirl13 

Thanks!

Aw, the orchids look so striking. Suppose I could start with the ghost or similar to get some experience and then go for an orchid afterwards, particularly given their short lifespan.

And I’ve had a quick look and the mealworms look promising. Are they OK for regular food though, I thought I’d seen some people saying to keep them to occasional use. And do you need live worms? (Presumably you need to feed them directly to the mantis whether alive or dead?)

Yes, that's a good plan. 

Yes, they are fine for regular food, and live worms are necessary 

- MantisGirl13 

Latest posts