Beginner to Praying Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazing3

Reaction score
Hey guys i have just joined here because i recently came across a very nice article about mantids and i really want to get a praying mantis.

There is a couple questions i have i would like to ask to pros here
victory.gif

1. I am from Canada and i'm wondering if mantis are legal here.

2. Should i get a live one or a eggsack? I just want one really and i think 200 that usually hatches would be way to many and i cannot release them into the wild as there are none in this province.

3. What is a good website i can trust to order the mantis or the eggs

4. what time of the year is the best to order one?

I think that is it for now, looking forward to hearing from you guys :)

You should introduced yourself.

This is the best place to find info on mantids. I have found everyone very friendly and informative.

Not sure about legal issues there, and definitely not a pro, but... I definitely recommend learning as much as you can about different species and their care requirements, then choosing one whose looks and personality appeal to you. I'm going to recommend mantisplace.com because Rebecca is awesome although the classifieds on this forum are great. Usually you can get a nymph and watch it grow to adult, which has been really fascinating for us :)

Welcome, this is a great place to learn!

Hey!

Good websites to purchase mantids or mantid ooths (eggsacks) are Mantis Place or Mantis Pets

Anytime of year I think would be fine.

Welcome and Good Luck

My biggest concern is, is it legal here? I know that there is atleast 1 kind of mantis in canada but not around me. I'd like to get a giant asian mantis, i have read on the forums that its beginner friendly and is relatively easy to take care of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked on the net and the Tenadora sinensis(chinese) is present in Canada and they are available right now at mantisplace.com

anyone has experience with them?

Great! giant asian mantis its gonna be then :) I am ordering a lil one later today, can't wait! My mom said she wouldnt come in my appartment anymore haha :p

I have not seen anything that indicates a legal issue with owning any mantis species in Canada.

With that said, there may be something lerking somewhere I havent seen yet.

If I were you, I would see if you can find anything on the internet for Canada.

Regarding mantids for beginners; I recommend any Sphromantis species (viridis, lineola, blue flash, etc.)

They get big, have that "classic" mantis look, easy to care for, not picky eaters, docile, and live longer then the

Chinese.

If you get Tenodera sinensis, be sure to get them after the second or third instar if you don't want to hatch them yourself, cause they can be fragile when they are very young. After the first couple of instars, they are much easier and are a great pet.

Many have complained of a substantial die off when hatching them from oothecae. I can attest to that, as I have had many deaths within a week after they hatch.

in my last post i said asian, but i meant tenodera sinensis. I would have to get a young one, What will it eat if its young and small?

They will eat fruit flies, but if you only get a couple of mantids, or just one, a culture would probably be too much.

They can take pinhead crickets and other very small insects at first, but will grow fast and soon be much easier to feed larger crickets, house flies, blue bottle flies, or roaches. Just about any insect that they can grab with thier forelegs.

Where you live In Canada ? If you Live In Canada I'm sure I can help . In my area of course lol ... GTA

Last edited by a moderator: