Beginner

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaWeirdo

Reaction score
I'm new to the hobby. I've been doing a lot of reading, but am still feeling it all out before making a commitment. I'm in central indiana

to our group!

We all started out as beginners.. now a lot of us are addicts! Look around, ask questions... Look at pictures... We are here to help you out...

Greetings and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

There several of us from around your area here - I'm actually in southern Indiana in Bedford. If you got any questions ask away, and when your ready to buy a mantis check out the classifieds here or the forum sponsors (banners on top of the page) they offer many great deals. ;)

Is there a popular opinion of a good sturdy species for beginners?
The most recommended for beginners is a local native mantis, that way you can release it in your backyard if you decide the hobby isn't for you. For Indiana there are three and great for beginners - Carolina mantis (Stagmomantis carolina), Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis), and European Mantis (Mantis religiosa).

If you are looking for something exotic a Ghost Mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa) is a great choice.

personally I started native. As CosbyArt started, that way if you decide the hobby isn't your thing you can release it back into the nature. But ghosts are an easy species for beginners aswell.

Latest posts