Beheaded :(

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I'm the only one who actually gets really cross over my females doing this, despite all the food i have given her and all the time i spent raising them both, she still kills him :(

I feel like I'm the only one who actually gets really cross over my females doing this, despite all the food i have given her and all the time i spent raising them both, she still kills him :(
It upsets me also. I can usually get there in time, but I missed my chance last night :(

Also when your there while its happening and trying to get him out of her grip is the worst...the power in the females raptorials just crushes males....one well aimed mandible munch to the thorax and its over, he'll bleed out....so what I didn't is put his headless body on the back of an unmated female and he connected :)

Also when your there while its happening and trying to get him out of her grip is the worst...the power in the females raptorials just crushes males....one well aimed mandible munch to the thorax and its over, he'll bleed out....so what I didn't is put his headless body on the back of an unmated female and he connected :)
That is what happened to my male Orchid, The unmated girl grabbed him and dropped him but he died right away. I should have tried putting him on her, like you did, but I was too upset lol. Next time I will be strong and do that lol.

That is what happened to my male Orchid, The unmated girl grabbed him and dropped him but he died right away. I should have tried putting him on her, like you did, but I was too upset lol. Next time I will be strong and do that lol.
Quick thinking by AndrewNisip, I would have done the same thing as you. Same thing happened to my orchid male except it was when the male literally flew towards the female to mate and she turned around and snagged him out the air. Luckily i saved him but mating is a scary thing for a mantis keeper!

Just make sure they are feeding when the male mounts....and if she freaks out and drops the food and tries to run with the male gripping her...try to stop her and get a prey item in her raptors by bringing the insides of an insect to her mandibles as soon as possible bc she will be looking for the prey item she just dropped and the closest thing is that male on her back. You can also use the prey item she just dropped, most likely she will continue eating and mating peacefully...but if she isn't ready she will do everything in her power to get that male off of her....

Precarious has a video on youtube that shows how to breed aggressive females and keep your male safe. Its an excellant video.

His youtube name is precarious333.

Precarious has a video on youtube that shows how to breed aggressive females and keep your male safe. Its an excellant video.

His youtube name is precarious333.
only problem is not everyone has the time to watch the whole thing, seems how mating can go on for hours.

Latest posts