Being used to bulk crickets...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamakiri

Reaction score
My army of mantises has been steadily growing...and keeping up with their feeding is hard enough when there's enough food around.

This weekend I made the mistake of running out. So I had to go back to my standby supply at the local petsmart. :(

While I like the supply when I only have a few adults, buying over 50 a day at retail prices gets a little annoying. In a few days I've spent what will buy me 1,000 crix in bulk. *sigh*

When you have a crazy amount of mantids feeder cost can add up! I run out from time to time too! Paying retail price is just plain painfull!

yeah I run out pretty fast but the place I get them from sells them very cheap and by the dozen so I go through 14 dozen or so crickets a week to 2 weeks but always try to split the sizes some large and some small and only pay 10 dollars or little more for them all!

use to get them online but the smell and mess would be kind of a eye and nose sore and so I get them from a local pet store and they sell them cheaper then petsmart!

I've done that myself (once).... and it really sucks! It wouldn't be too bad if you just needed a few. But unfortunately I also know the pain of getting hundreds of crickets at Pet shop prices (and they gave me a "volume discount" too! But my, my, it was a gouging that hurt my pocketbook nonetheless. I sympathize.... :(

I know how it's like. And my PetsMart nickles and dimes. They count every bloody cricket and make sure you have exactly the number you ordered. Thankfully theres a local reptile store. Although expensive, 12 cents a cricket, I'll order 20 and they'll give me 50. So at least I'm not getting completely ripped off. Either way it sucks.

That's when it really hurts! :lol: :lol: What happened to the cute girl who didn't bother counting? ;)
Hee hee, no cute girl works at PetSmart. I tell you, these corporate pet stores really are only in it for the money. Bloody fish to feed turtles are ridiculously priced, and the funny part is people still keep buying from these money-making "ricks" with a silent P.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best friend's roommate works the feeder/aquarium section at the PetSmart near me. He's good to me when I sink so low as to need them. I got ~25 for $1 the other day.

Hee hee, no cute girl works at PetSmart. I tell you, these corporate pet stores really are only in it for the money. Bloody fish to feed turtles are ridiculously priced, and the funny part is people still keep buying from these money-making "ricks" with a silent P.
Ah, what we Americans pay for convenience...but you must be going to the wrong PetSmart! While I don't really like their business model for many reasons, 'profit' ain't a bad word to me.

That's when it really hurts! :lol: :lol: What happened to the cute girl who didn't bother counting? ;)
It turns out that the cute girl gave out about three extra crix per sale, which isn't lot if someone buys a hundred. On her shift, she made, on average, 40 sales per day, as did her two, not-quite-so-cute friends. On her day off, other cute girls did the same thing until someone, who didn't like pets but had a degree in accounting, found that the cute girls were giving away around 2,500 free crickets/week. After they were fired, they got jobs at a mortgage company (they were very cute, after all) and soon rose to a position where they decided on whether or not to issue high-risk mortgages. The rest, sadly, is history.

My best friend's roommate works the feeder/aquarium section at the PetSmart near me. He's good to me when I sink so low as to need them. I got ~25 for $1 the other day.
He will end up just like the cute girl.

I think he only does that for me, though. An extra 15 crickets a week is hardly backbreaking or trackable.

I think he only does that for me, though. An extra 15 crickets a week is hardly backbreaking or trackable.
While crickets aren't soda cans...in a previous work life, I fired an employee who was regularly taking two free soda cans per shift.

Latest posts