Bent abdomen

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jynxer

Reaction score
My Chinese mantis molted 2 days ago, and it was what I think was a good molt. But now, whenever he hangs upside down, his abdomen right where it joins the body has a crease and it bends down at about an 80 degree angle. When I flip the lid back over, it rights itself. Should I be worried? Thanks!

Jake

My Chinese mantis molted 2 days ago, and it was what I think was a good molt. But now, whenever he hangs upside down, his abdomen right where it joins the body has a crease and it bends down at about an 80 degree angle. When I flip the lid back over, it rights itself. Should I be worried? Thanks!Jake
Yeah, kinda cute, isn't it? I've had the same thing with a Chinese and others have reported similar occurences, but it doesn't seem to be a problem and was gone after the next molt with mine. You'll notice that when he has had a good meal, it straightens out, and then goes back when it's digested.

Yeah, kinda cute, isn't it? I've had the same thing with a Chinese and others have reported similar occurences, but it doesn't seem to be a problem and was gone after the next molt with mine. You'll notice that when he has had a good meal, it straightens out, and then goes back when it's digested.
Thanks so much! Now I'm not as worried. I'll have to catch a fly or something big...

Jake

The same thing happened to one of my nymphs when it molted the other day. It looks kinda funny, but as long as it is otherwise healthy it should be fine. What instar is your nymph now? My is L5.

I had that happen a few times with chinese. They seem to do fine though.

Five minutes after I posted that, it folded back down lol. He's eating another fly, so maybe it'll help.

Eating is not going to fix that issue. It will just fold back later.

Oh. Well it straightened out and it hasn't folded back down after he ate the second fly. Whatever, I'm just glad it looks normal. When it folds back down, I'll be sure to feed him. Thanks!

Jake

Rick is right. Don't worry about it...you can't fix it. On top of that, it only gets worse until it becomes an adult with normal wings.

It's been bent for about a week now and he's doing good. When he molts, will it naturally straighten out before he molts?

Jake

Latest posts